CHR11/CH2 - The Joy of Reunion

Tilly Weaver had given of herself, and selflessly taken him in. She had cared for him, counselled him, and gifted him the brief and poignant sight of those he loved, this at risk of being ostracised by her own family for revealing the spell they had kept secret for centuries.

But when he spoke to her about the debt he believed owed, she shrugged her shoulders, told him that he was more handsome than any man had the right to be, and that it had been her joy to offer him the hospitality of her home, and any other assistance rendered.

" I never married," she told him, " though I once found a mortal who stole my heart. Sadly, when I told him of my magical talents, he took fright, and revealed my presence to those who would seek out and burn those of our kind who still dwell in this land."

" I had foreknowledge of their coming, and got myself away in time, but I have trusted no mortal since that day."

" I dwell amongst them, trade with them, at times offer healing herbs to their sick, I am  a good neighbour toward all, but there is no trust in me. Until you came I had no knowledge of how it might feel to have a family."

" I now know the richness of maternal love, for this is the gift your presence has brought me. You are a man of honour, and you have brought blessings to this house beyond measure."

Then she added tearfully, " I will miss you more than you know."

Guy was unable to find the words to form a reply, but gathered her into his arms, and held her there as she wept. It was a good while before she took herself from his embrace, and it was an unwilling gesture. There seemed no way to comfort her, but then his smile was wide, his eyes bright, as he thought on what he believed was the remedy.

" The solution is simple," he said, " return with me, bide with us on the Gisborne Farm, the welcome will be warm, and there are children aplenty to fill your days with familial love. The house is large enough, as are the hearts of those that dwell in it. You are kin to Gwyneth, and therefore kin to me, think on it awhile, I'll not press you for a reply."

The look of surprise on her face deepened into a sad smile.

" I have my own kin in this time," she said, " a sister, a brother, they each have children, how could I leave them? They are distant in miles, but close in my heart, perhaps twice in each twelve month, one or the other comes to visit, and the little ones are as dear to me as yours are to you. Think on how you felt when you knew you would leave them."

" You were sure in the knowledge that you would return, but this would be denied to me, I cannot live two lives, one here and the other so far in the past, I would be forever travelling back and forth. Half a year here, and half a year in another time."

" What of my land? I own it free and clear, and my beasts, how would they fare? I must also take into account that there are none hereabouts to whom I could explain my absences. Your offer is generous indeed and appeals to my sense of adventure, but alas, it cannot be."

She would not be dissuaded, though sadness enveloped her at the thought of Guy leaving her home. She kept herself busy by gathering the herbs and other components of the time spinning spell as the night of the full moon approached.

Because Guy had arrived before the fire in her homely kitchen, this was to be the place from which he was to return to his own time. He had arrived with just the clothes on his back, and he would leave in the same fashion.

The final day but one was the hardest, and the air was filled with false laughter, as both Tilly and Guy each sought not to distress the other.

" Tomorrow we must remove any trace of you from this house," she said, " any clothing purchased and worn must be discarded and burned. Should they come from Nottingham in search of you, there must be no evidence of your time spent in this house."