CHR12/CH1 - The Final Reunion, and Promises Made

They reached the town two days later, and it was revealed to be Parribridge, the bridge spanning the river Parry. Neither the two wizards or Guy knew of it, but it was set out in exactly the same fashion as most other towns of that time.

There was a central square, with a King's Charter proudly displayed, which allowed a Market each Friday between the hours of five until three.

From the square seven streets were laid out, the buildings nearest to the Market Square being of a commercial nature, the others variously sized dwelling places.

The large houses bordering one side of the square, were merchants dwellings, as was evidenced by their size, and proximity to the Market. They were also in a better state of repair, and one boasted five chimneys, a sure sign of wealth if a man could afford five lit hearths in his house.

There was a leather worker, two butchers, a cobbler, and various other purveyors of foodstuffs. There were also three Taverns, all in a row, which caused a deal of amusement to the travellers, because the town itself surely did not boast a population large enough to warrant them.

There was also what could only be described as a house of ill- repute, it's upper windows adorned with bawds, their flesh barely contained in their scant and  much soiled garments, despite the winter weather. Many licentious invitations rang out as Guy passed by on his horse.

He was a handsome man, in the prime of life, and drew attention from the 'gentler sex' wherever he might find himself, and paid it no mind. He had wed the love of his life, his thoughts would never stray to another.

Having already decided that another night out of doors would not be ideal due to the nighttime temperatures, the three of them took rooms at the Inn which appeared a little more prosperous than it's neighbours.

Both wizards looked on askance as Guy paid for separate accommodation, but said nothing, lest they be thought impolite.

In the way of all night time trumpeters, they were unaware that they had robbed their companion of sleep over the previous five nights,  the first three being in Tilly Weaver's cottage, and the latter two on the road, after their recent untimely arrival. Though Guy had been made familiar with a silencing spell, he was far too respecting of his two revered companions to use it in their wakeful state.

The rooms were plain, but had been recently swept and dusted by the signs, the linens were clean, though well mended, and a fire was quickly kindled in the two chambers provided. They were asked if a bath should be brought up and filled, and all three were glad to accept.

The Inn keepers wife spoke of steak and kidney, with ' her own pickles' along with apple syllabub, and the bargain was struck without delay.

Though Guy was anxious to be in his own bed, being a man of good appetite, the supper placed before them a hour later, was considered to be well worth another short delay in his familial reunions. A man must be fed.

As they ate, they learned from the Innkeeper, that they were some eight miles from Llanlivet, close by to their intended destination, and that a full day with good horses and milder weather should 'see them right'.

When the three of them retired, it was to a hot brick in their beds, and still glowing embers at the hearth. Stabling had been arranged by a farrier, met in the doorway of the Inn, with orders that the horses should be ready just after dawn.

Coin was exchanged and the matter sealed with spit and a handshake, a disgusting habit Guy thought, but he was anxious for his supper and his bed, so overlooked it. He thought he might be troubled on the ' spell of rejoining' he had so recently undergone, but he slept for seven hours, thought fitfully.