Epilogue/CH5

The day of departure finally arrived. It was not on the date that Gwyneth had predicted, but such a large undertaking could never have been completed to such exactness. For several days their Aunt had adjudged them to be ready, but then some small thing would not come to adequate completion, and she would heave a great sigh as to her continuing displeasure.

Guy and Edmund worked long into the night, waking again at dawn to carry on with their allotted tasks. Gwyneth and Auriel were stitching and repairing almost until the last moment, and the smallest children were quite beside themselves with anticipation.

Instructions were repeated, though needlessly, to Hywell, Glenys, Elizabeth, Gethin and Ewan who would manage the farm on behalf of their Master, along with Marian in the dairy, and assurances were given yet again that all would be well.

To lighten the burden of farm work, no heifers were to be put to the bull in the weeks of Guy's absence, but any who sought Hector's services, if the right price was proffered, were to be allowed the patronage of his proven fertility. Generally these services were eagerly sought locally and Hector could be walked to wherever his "duty" was required.

The house was be entirely closed to all except Elizabeth, who had been tasked with keeping the house free of dust and damp. To facilitate this, the kitchen and parlour fires were to be lit daily, as evening fell, and twice weekly the house was to be dusted and swept.

These last endeavours would ensure that Elizabeth would continue to receive remuneration for her efforts, even though the family would not be to home. Looking along the line of covered carts, Guy felt a surge of pride in his heart, and silently thanked his Maker for the efforts of all those involved in what he prayed would be a successful journey.

The evening before it had been decided that Guy and Auriel would lead the way, with the smallest children travelling with them. Edmund and Gwyneth were to follow with his with his eldest twins, along with Abigail and Beatrice, though he supposed that the positioning of his children in the caravan of wagons would be subject to change due to their capricious nature.

Each of the two leading wagons would also contain the personal belongings of those travelling in them. The others were in the capable hands of two young men, Madoc and Tudor, being highly recommended by the carter in Llanlivet.

Their faces showed their delight at the diversion from their daily grind, but whether or not this joy was to be long lived,  remained to be seen.

They had spent many days at the farm in the weeks prior to departure, and had proved themselves to be hardworking, each with a pleasant and sometimes amusing demeanour, which had endeared them to all concerned, especially the children.

The first of these carts carried provisions for all,  in as much as could be kept fresh, and the other, fodder for the horses should no grazing be available, when the travellers stopped to rest for the night.

Both the carts were heavily laden, but obviously their respective loads would diminish as the days passed. It was envisaged that anything required could be replenished when necessary.

The four men were also to be well armed at all times, with watch kept at night, turn and turn about, for none could predict any dangers that may be lying in wait on the road.

These were lean times for some, and the travellers, along with the provisions they carried, would doubtless attract those whose fortunes may have fallen, either by their own doing, lack of suitable employment, or because of the pestilence that had so recently beset the land.

Many farms and estates had been lain waste, and the workers peremptorily discharged. Those whose accommodation was 'tied' to the land had been evicted without benefit of notice.