CHR1/CH5-The Search, and Troubles Anew

In two days, sixteen men and eight lads were recruited to the cause, though not all could offer their help every day, some having found temporary work of sorts. All were glad of the early breakfast that Glenys had prepared in the farmhouse kitchen, Auriel being still in her sick bed. Most behaved as if it were their first meal in days, but they had all volunteered, and none had been pressed into service, so they were very willing. Hywel was to be left to manage the farm work for the day, along with the younger brother of one of the searchers to aid him.

The evening before as Guy watched Glenys tend her mistress' burned feet, he recalled the dwarves search method when he had been taken by the Red Witch, and he went to the barn where the dwarves had lived whilst guarding his family, to search out any written evidence of it.

Though the barn had reverted to its proper purpose after the departure of the dwarves, much remained in evidence of their time there. All linens had been washed, dried and put away in wooden chests, though the warm quilts were now contained in the linen press on the landing, and much used during the cold winter months.

All partitions in the communal dormitory had been removed to allow for farm storage, but the stone fireplace and chimney remained, though the furniture the dwarves had fashioned for their comfort, had long since been chopped for firewood, and bales of straw were now piled high in its stead. As he searched, he noted a small wooden box, placed on a low shelf, covered in spiders webs, and chaff, so he lifted it down, slightly vexed at himself for his neglect and disregard of his loyal friend's personal property.

On the lid was a dwarven seal, and the box was shut fast with time, but unlocked. Inside was what appeared to be Thorin's Journal, and he lifted the parchments from inside the better to see them, though for a moment he remembered his comrade's friendship, and at first thought not to read them. But then he said to himself, "Needs must, my old friend, If ever I needed your skills, it is now. What of your map of squares, will I find it here, or has it been lost forever?"

His search was thorough, though he was diverted for a while by the dwarf's written record of his adoration of Guy's wife, and he smiled as he read the script. The descriptions of Auriel's beauty, and her words, whilst written with such love, spoke more of the dwarf's honour, than any trespass upon her person by word or deed, though Guy had ever trusted his friend, and was secure in his wife's undying love. He knew that Auriel still carried a fondness for Thorin, indeed she had from the day she had first met him, merely because the dwarf so resembled her husband.

At last he found what he sought, written on a much folded parchment near to the bottom of the box. He had it, that which he sought, and all could cast their eyes on it before the search began.

It was decided after a short discussion with his stockman, that as they were fifteen in total that day, three groups of five would search separately, and meet up at noon to discuss any signs of Matthew Hopkins presence, should they find any. The drawn squares would then be marked as "searched."All had been told of the mischief, and malicious acts carried out at the farm, and were soon talking amongst themselves as to the lay of the land and any likely hiding places. As local men and boys, their familiarity with the land thereabouts was vital.

In all, they searched for nine hours, returning to the farm at noon for sustenance, but quickly setting off again when they had eaten their fill. At sunset, they left for their homes, promising to return the next day, as Guy thanked them for their efforts. No sign had been found of the erstwhile interloper, though they did find animal bones in a stone fire pit.

When Guy entered the kitchen, footsore and weary, he found his stockman stirring their supper at the fire. Ghislaine and Gheraint were putting plates and forks onto the table, and a fresh loaf had been sliced and buttered. His kitchen appeared to have been thoroughly tidied, after the chaos caused by the smoke, soot, water, and the burning log that had fallen on his wife. There were flowers in an earthenware jug on the table, atop a gleaming white tablecloth. Even the parlour had not been neglected or so it seemed, as he could see the oak settles gleaming in the candlelight.