CHR11/CH4 - A Mirror Image Part Two

How could they cast him out? Where would he go? If he was truly a part of the man who image he mirrored, would Guy one day feel the lack of this part? Would he sicken and die an incomplete man?

Meanwhile, this exact likeness of the true Guy remained convinced that the man who so resembled him at the farm was false, 'some kind of dark magic perhaps'. He then demanded to be acknowledged by 'his' family, and became insistent, raving on his loss of reality.

"Why have I to contend with this usurper, get him from my house! My sweet girl, why do you shun me? These are my children, yet I see fear in their eyes, fear of their Papa! How can this be?"

In his furious and questioning state, he tried constantly to assert himself, particularly as a passionate husband, and seemed to feel the need to control Auriel, even pushing Guy aside as he tried to enter his own bedchamber, crying out that his wife was no harlot, and that she was his alone.

This became such a regular occurrence, that he had to be restrained in the dark hours, merely to ensure that the household could sleep. Oddly, he showed no sense of violence to any at these times, he would merely weep profusely and wring his hands.

"I read her thoughts," he said, his face despondent, " and she reads mine in return; I am adored by this woman, look at her face, see the love in her eyes. Why do none heed my words?"

He ate and drank little in the days that followed his outburst, sleep seemed to elude him, but what little rest he did achieve was outside the door of the bedchamber, behind which was the woman he claimed was his wife.

Auriel found his grief almost unbearable to watch, once even attempting to embrace him, and she would have achieved her aim, had Aunt Gwyneth not stepped in to deter her.

On such occasions Thorin would be so full of contrition for foisting the poor creature upon them, that he would offer repeatedly to take him away underground again, so that the dwarven healers might seek a cure for what ailed him, but of course this offer was consistently refused, given that Paladin and Merlin had now sent word of their coming.

At other times, the pitiful wretch would be less sure, bewildered in his outlook, acquiescent almost, as those about him attempted to show him kindness. In these moment of tranquility, Beatrice and little Guy sought to amuse him, and involve him in their play, for an older playmate was always to the advantage of one or the other.

After all, the two of them were almost constantly fractious in their desire to acquire the most favoured toy, or the choicest morsels on offer, should it be baking day. Such a large personage, should either of them succeed in gaining his favour, was best placed in his adulthood, to reach unerringly for both.

He seemed tender in his dealings with all the Gisborne children, though at times the relevant name for each of them escaped him, should they come upon him all at once.

Some days he was of good appetite, but on others he refused all sustenance, walking for hours about the house, muttering to himself, roaming from room to room as if searching, but when asked, he could not name the object he sought.

Guy came upon him late one night roaming the upstairs landing wearing the sword belt from the chest under the window, where Guy always kept it for safe keeping. The poor creature never unsheathed the sword, nor brandished it, but seemed to take comfort in the wearing of it.

When questioned by Guy on one such an occasion as to why he thought it necessary to arm himself whilst in the house, he replied that the Red Witch was close by, and that he must defend his family.

Auriel stood in the doorway of their bedchamber hearing the words exchanged, and she wept at the anguish and fear in his voice. How could he know these things?