CHR1/CH6-Lucifer's Agony, and an Intruder Close by

There was no one on guard as Guy stood talking to Hywel the following day. Huw and his two sons were to stay another week, but both they, and those soon to be searching, were still breaking their fast. It had been decided that this was to be the final day of work for those who had volunteered, if no sign was found, and Ewan and Gethin would continue to patrol the boundaries at night until Guy deemed it safe for them to return to their home in the village.

After issuing his stockman with his daily instruction, he went quickly through the kitchen and up the stairs to bid his wife the fond farewell for which she would be waiting, and he smiled to himself in anticipation of it. Halfway up the stairs he stopped as he could hear Auriel calling out to someone, as if in conversation. But who could it be? The twins had left for their lessons at the Priory with Hywel, Abigail was with Glenys in the kitchen, and only little Beatrice was left upstairs.

"Who are you talking to my sweet girl?" he asked when he entered the bedchamber.

"Do you make fun of me husband? she replied, "for was I not talking to you? what have you been at so long on the landing?"

"I have just this moment come from the kitchen," he said. "But if it eases your mind, I will see if anyone is about." Guy returned in a very few moments. "There is no one," he said, "is it possible you were asleep and dreaming?"

"Husband I wakened over an hour ago, and I have walked to the window and back twice. I merely got into this bed that you should not be angry with me, I distinctly heard footsteps!"

"Well, whoever was walking about is long gone," he said, " perhaps it is the squirrels again, I myself heard them a while ago, just before sleep overcame me. I thought to deal with it the next morning, but there were other more urgent tasks. Tomorrow perhaps, if I can spare the time. Then he knelt beside the bed. "But now a pleasanter task my girl," he said, "have you a kiss to send me on my way?"

"Always," she replied, " please God we shall be free of all this before long, has he gone from us forever do you think?"

"We can only hope darling girl," he said, " I shall come to see you at noon, then he looked upwards as he too thought he heard the sound of footsteps.

"Damned vermin," he said, "they eat through the thatch, and breed like the rats they are!

The days passed, and Auriel finally returned to her kitchen, and though she complained constantly about the weight of the boots that Hywel had fashioned, she knew that her strength and agility were returning. A full six weeks after she had been carried to her bed screaming in agony, the hated objects were thrown to the back of the dresser in the bedroom, Auriel being too polite to dispose of such "fine workmanship." Glenys declared her to be fully recovered, and graciously relinquished the farmhouse back into her care.

"Twil be good to be in our own little cottage once more mistress" she said, " but I shall miss the little ones sorely."

"You have been a Godsend to this house," said Auriel, holding her close in her arms as she was leaving. "I know of no way to ever repay your kindness."

"Do not speak of debt Mistress," she said, "for there is none, it has been a joy to be under your roof, and feel the love that dwells here. If I should have little ones, I will look to your example always. But I must away now to disperse the dust from the cottage, and bake some bread in my own oven, and my man will be wanting rabbit pie for his supper I'll be bound. If I have the time, I shall bake the master some of my cheese scones, for he seems to have developed a taste for them."

" I never seemed to master the recipe, "Auriel said, " I once dropped one as it came from the oven, and it bounced to the bottom of the stairs!"

"As yes," replied Glenys, " but your honey cake will never be bettered, or so the Master says."