CHR12/CH4 - The Foundling Child, and a Necessary Parting

Guy was a mite uncomfortable at first in his bed of hay, but as a man who generally rose before dawn each day, weariness soon overcame him, and his eyes closed in sleep, to dream of a beautiful witch, whose love had captured him, in the moment of their first meeting.

His sleep was fitful, due in some part to his need to watch over the little one slumbering beside him, but in the main, because he longed for the presence of the one who shared his heart and his home, she was also the ever willing recipient of his adoration and passion.

That she was the loving mother of his children, elevated her almost beyond sainthood, at least in his eyes, but such thoughts would be thought blasphemous if ever spoken aloud, no matter their veracity.

The days that followed Elinor's untimely arrival at the farm were difficult and long for Guy, because of to her unwillingness to speak with him. On that first night as he had bathed her, she had uttered just the one word, that of her given name, and she had been silent ever since.

She was of good appetite, and seemed an amiable child, but the silence between them spoke much of the horrors that she had seen.

She started at every sudden noise, and did not rest well at night, her sleep being much disturbed by nightmares, along with the accompanying cries of terror.

Because of the lack in verbal communication, there was no evidence as to the direction from which she had come, nor of any relatives that may come seeking her out.

She seemed content to sit amongst the hay, and play with the few toys and games that his children had placed on the ground beyond the door of the barn. Their curiosity knew no bounds, it being increased by the lack of any kind of interaction with the little one in the care of their Papa. She was always eager to partake of any sustenance that might be offered, but despite Guy's best efforts, she spoke not a word.

Each morning he discussed with his stockman, his days requirements involving the livestock and their needs, but as the days passed, Guy began to see the folly of it.

Hywell was, and always would be, more than capable of carrying out all that was required, in the day to day running of the farm, ably assisted as he was by Gethin and Ewan, who now resided in a newly built cottage some quarter of a mile to the east of the farmhouse.

Their mother Elizabeth, dwelt in the village with her second husband, in comfortable rooms next to the smithy where he daily plied his trade.

In the past, whenever it was required, Elizabeth would come to the farmhouse in her capacity of general helper, and would turn her hand to any task that was given her, but she had always especially loved the care of the little ones.

To her great consternation, and because of the separation required by the sickness which continued to blight the land, she too was denied the farm, and the sudden lack her helping hands was felt strongly by the Gisborne family.

But she was most especially missed by her two sons, who were now preparing their own food, and having to eat the sorry results. Their laundering skills also left much to be desired as was evidenced by the clothesline visible from the Gisborne kitchen.

All those in residence at the farm when the sickness had first been spoken of, were now trapped within its boundaries, and though comfortable and reasonably well fed, tempers became frayed, as the days passed with no sign of the dreaded pestilence abating.

There were occasional tidings by word of mouth should an outsider pass close by to the farm, though such visitors were forbidden to come inside the gate, as advised by whomever was guarding the farm that day, by necessity fully armed and alert.