CHR 7/CH2-Gwyneth's talk of marriage, and a rescue

After Simeon's light punishment had been carried out, there were a few difficult days. His brothers and sisters found it hard to forgive that he had sought to blame them for his transgression, and their dislike of him, though short lived, was very apparent.

For two days they shunned him completely, despite knowing the reason for his theft of food. But then, under the loving and guiding hand of their Mama they relented, and received him into their midst again.

As time passed he had several more backward steps as to his behaviour, but they were slight, and did no lasting harm. That these mishaps always involved the theft of food led the family to believe that he was not only still 'finding his place' amongst them, but that he also had a very real fear of starvation, doubtless due to the tragedy of his earlier time as a slave, and the maltreatment he had received.

Eventually harmony was restored. Aunt Gwyneth had instilled some knowledge of letters and numbers into his  head, and he was declared 'ready for learning'. The brothers at the Priory were pleased to learn of another pupil because more eggs, cheese, butter, fine beef and other delights would be forthcoming from the Gisborne farm in appreciation of their efforts to educate another child. Because they led such an austere life, any additional bounty was welcome.

For the first week, the strangeness of order and confinement at the Priory did not sit well with their nine year old son, but he settled well and four children, almost happily, left each day for the two mile walk to their lessons, although Abigail had still not grown out of her desire to be carried homeward each day.

This task generally fell to either an unwilling Ghislaine or her even more unwilling twin, Simeon still lacking the strength to take his turn, though he was already growing upwards at an alarming rate.

Aunt Gwyneth was swift to remark upon it.

"If that boy sprouts further, he will be the equal of you when he reaches his full growth Guy of Gisborne," she laughed, " Glenys remarked on it this forenoon, and compared him to a grasshopper. Hey ho, more sewing, though there is little edging left with which to lengthen his britches. The space between them and his tunic grows ever wider, and he has outgrown his smallest boots. He eats like a horse, much like you!"

Guy smiled to himself at her words. Although at first Simeon had proved difficult in his ways , (which had manifested itself in incidences of 'misplaced food'), he was now fully familial, and seemed to relish the fact. His ways were entertaining, he had a ready wit, and the happiness shining clearly from his eyes was a joy to behold, most especially so when faced with a full plate!

He had taken to his lessons, seemingly happy to learn, and his reading and writing skills grew apace, to the delight of Aunt Gwyneth who had taken his lack of literacy in hand from the day of his arrival. Of course, he would never be free of the scarring which covered his back, but it seemed of no consequence to him, though at first it had been deeply troubling for others of the family to behold.

His brothers and sisters had become so accustomed to seeing it, especially when they played in the river, that it was seldom commented upon. He was not overly conscious of it himself when he removed his clothes, apparently accepting that it had been his lot in his early life to bear the brunt of other's ill feeling and cruelty.

One evening after placing his nightly blessing upon the foreheads of all his children, Guy came upon Auriel counting and placing clean linens in the dresser on the landing. So involved was she in the task, that she was unaware of his presence until she felt his arms steal around her waist, though she put up no resistance.

"Husband I have miscounted," she laughed, " I shall have to begin again, are our boys settled for the night? and our girls? I confess I had not the time to grant them my nightly kiss, I was that busy with the linens."