CHR11/CH3- A Mirror Image Part One

For a while, all was peaceful on the Gisborne Farm, and Guy's long absence became a distant memory as the weeks turned to months, and the year's end came in sight. Half the dairy cattle were sent for slaughter, thus reducing the numbers, as was the custom as winter drew in, and the remainder were brought inside, along with forty two pregnant ewes, as the temperature plummeted.

The small barn, which had seen such varied use in its recent history, had been demolished, and another built in its stead. Taller, wider, stronger, and better proofed against the bitter weather.

It had taken many weeks to raise, and the labour had not come cheaply, but Guy was well satisfied with the results. Aunt Gwyneth had complained bitterly about the muck being trampled 'through her kitchen yet again', and tempers had become frayed with so many additional mouths to feed.

But as the work had progressed, it had become apparent that the farm would benefit greatly from the additional space afforded by its larger capacity for both cattle and sheep, along with the storage of fodder.

In the last days of November, the work was completed, much to the delight of the ladies of the house, as they now had the time to plan for the Christmas festivities. Guy raised his eyes heavenward, believing that since time immemorial women had loved to plan, and remarked that his wife and her beloved Aunt were no exception.

Edmund said nothing, as was his usual habit, as Gwyneth's betrothed, he had learned to his cost that any interference in matters of the family came with a heavy price.

That his betrothal was probably the longest in history, did nothing to lessen his affections for the love of his life, indeed they increased it.

He had been granted the bounty of her bed long months ago, so in his eyes they were already wed, save for the ceremony, and it's attendant celebrations. Arrangements had been made and cancelled more times than he cared to recount, but he was a man of peace and never ending patience it seemed.

The children were delighted that Christmas was on the horizon and rapidly advancing towards them, no doubt with appropriate gifts, and many lists were made, and then discarded, when eyebrows were raised as to the expense.

Purchasing suitable provender for the Season of Goodwill, proved somewhat difficult, when the weather took a turn for the worse, and deepening snow precluded travel beyond the farm gate.

Then came the news that there would be no weekly Market at Llanlivet for the foreseeable future, except if the weather proved less inclement.

The farm was almost self sufficient, and stores were ample for their needs, save for flour, which rapidly diminished as the weather worsened and blizzards raged.

Winter fodder was in good supply, and there was no pressing need for re supply, Aunt Gwyneth with her strange abilities as to worsening weather having warned Guy well in advance that he would need to purchase more than was usual, to ensure his beasts were amply fed.

Upon Gwyneth's further predictions and instructions, the 'old large barn' had been pressed into service for storing the wood required to warm both the cottage and the farmhouse, and Gethin, Ewan, Hywell and Guy had spent many a long hour in the chopping of it.

The snow worsened as the Season of Christmas approached, but the celebrations of the Saviour's birth would be less than anticipated as to food and wine, if further supplies were not obtained.

By the twenty third of December, there had been no let up in the freezing storms that still raged, and the lack of fresh bread in the farmhouse kitchen was remarked upon at every meal, particularly by Guy, who remarked that his work about the farm meant that he required sustenance of a more substantial nature than soup and vegetables!