CHR6/CH3-The First Days on The Road, and A Sad Encounter

Auriel was so overcome by her parting from Guy, that she was inconsolable, though little sympathy was on offer from her guide and companion. During that first few hours, few words passed between them, save for the occasional remark on the road they should take, or the decision of where they should stop for the night.

With so little conversation or compassion exchanged, Auriel sank low in her spirits, and was even for a time, at risk of falling from her mount.

"Enough!" said Persephone, after several long hours had passed without sign of relief, " I will bear your wailing no longer, surely no man can merit this grief!"

"You have on more than one occasion questioned my preference for the gentler sex, why do you wonder at it, when thoughts of this man distract you so? Good God woman, bear up, and look to your horse!"

"If you have never loved as I do, then I pity you the loss of it!" sobbed Auriel, " the man is my life, my heart beats for him, and him alone!"

"Love?" demanded Persephone, " I do not see love, I see misery, there is not a man alive for whom I would weep in such a way, nor one who could ever bring me to my pleasure, they think only of themselves and women are ay their chattels!"

"They seek our bodies merely to ease themselves, nothing more, and I'll not be persuaded otherwise. But a woman, oh my, only a woman can know what a woman desires."

" You think to shock me," said Auriel, wiping her eyes " and yet you do not. It has always been my belief that love is beautiful in all its forms, man with man, woman with woman, or man with woman, it matters not."

"But desire alone is a shallow pool, one that dries up in the heat of passion. I believe you seek love even now, as do we all, but it has so far eluded you, deny it if you can!"

But there was no reply, merely a shrug of the shoulders as her companion rode ahead of her. Auriel looked after her, sympathy etched on her beautiful face, and then dried her eyes.

"I do this for them," she said to herself, " for the man I love, and his children yet to be born, what matters a small parting, when I may be able to give him his heart's desire."

They stopped for nourishment at noon on the first day, also to water the horses at a nearby brook, it was not wide, but merely a trickle, though both they, and their mounts were glad of it.

An uneasy truce existed between the women when they set off for a further five hours riding, there was no spite in the words they exchanged, but the ease they had felt in each other's company back at the farm was much reduced.

They halted for the night when Persephone's mount stumbled out of sheer weariness though she wanted to travel farther whilst the light lasted.

"Another hour before sunset," she said, " we shall ride on I think."

"You may travel where you will Madame," said Auriel, " but my nights rest shall begin here, at this very spot. I am weary, as are my horses. Ride on, I care not."

When she heard no sound, Auriel believed that Persephone had left her, and she wondered at the wisdom of attempting to impose her will upon a woman of such strength and determination.

Not wishing to show weakness, and follow where her guide and companion had gone, she unloaded the supplies from the pack horse, and erected the waterproof canvas shelter, expertly forcing the pegs into the ground, and tying the supporting ropes tightly.

She laid out the two feather sleeping pads, placing a knitted blanket upon each, before gathering small twigs for kindling and igniting a small fire. Logs were soon chopped from a deadfall, and a pot of water placed on the fire.