CHR11/CH5 - A Man Whole Again Part One

The terrifying voyage began as it always did. When the Time Portal opened, Guy, the man who claimed to be Guy, and the Wizards Merlin and Paladin were lifted by its powerful forces, and thrust forward through time, each of them hopeful of a safe arrival.

Guy felt little fear as the familiar sensations overcame him, in fact, before his wits left him, he realised that the accompanying Wizards would doubtless ensure his well being.

As to whether or not he would return home a whole man, without the strange 'shadow' that beset his every waking moment, who could say with any certainty?

When the four of them opened their eyes, it was to see the great Castle of Nottingham in the distance, and Paladin remarked that they had arrived rather short of their intended destination.

They set off, the four of them, in the direction of Larkrise, and the cottage of the witch Tilly Weaver, Merlin being the only one among them to whom the way was unfamiliar.

Word of their coming had preceded them, though Guy knew not the way of it. He saw the smoke from Tilly's chimney, and walked faster, eager to see her.

He was filled with a hope that her powers of enchantment, combined with that of the two Wizards, might bring to an end the strange circumstance in which he found himself.

It was his hope that they they be fortunate enough to find the cause of his 'mysterious division' hidden somewhere in her humble dwelling.

She was warm and welcoming, though a little overawed by the presence of Merlin. Even in her time, his name was lauded by people of magic. Paladin was a long time acquaintance, having passed this way many times.

Her home had been, and still was, a safe haven for any that should have need of such a thing, and no one was ever turned away from her hearth, or deprived of the kindness in her heart.

She embraced Guy, after the initial surprise of seeing not one but two fine handsome men in her cottage, one identical to the other. She bowed her head respectfully to those two revered men of magic who so honoured her humble home with their presence.

She cocked her head to one side as she viewed the strange 'twin' of the man who had sought sanctuary with her for many long months, but seeing no answering smile, she turned away, and busied herself with refreshments for her guests.

She herself had no knowledge of any spell of rejoining, but she knew that the answer must lie somewhere in her home, the departure point from which Guy of Gisborne had returned home to Wales and his loving family.

She was aware however, that a spell that she herself had invoked, out of kindness to Guy, might be the very reason for the spectacle of a man not fully whole, and needing to be rejoined.

She could see no lack in her onetime handsome guest, but in her heart she knew he was incomplete, for how else could this other, who so resembled him, have come into being?

Supper was eaten and enjoyed, being Guy's favourite, as Tilly well remembered, though it brought sadness to his mind for while as he recalled the times that his sweet girl had prepared it for him. As always, when parted from her, the sadness could be almost overwhelming.

Her smile, he carried with him, no matter where he found himself to be, and the voices of his children resonated in his heart. But the reason for his presence in Nottingham was complex, and hard to fathom.

He felt no loss in his body or mind, but the poor creature that resembled him was clear proof that all was not as it should be.

He recalled, as he often did, his life before Auriel had entered it, with both her love, and her magic. A Knight he had been, and a proud one, though his Lord at that time had been a despotic and cruel Master. He still carried the shame of actions carried out at this man's behest, but the memory was less vivid as time passed.