Epilogue/CH2

A hurried marriage it may have been, but it was by no means ill prepared. Early  rising generally meant that Guy, Edmund and Hywell ate their breakfast untroubled by the sound  and disturbance of children, but as the great day approached, it seemed that few slept beyond dawn in either the farmhouse or the cottages.

Those who dwelt on the farm numbered eight adults, with eleven young ones if Elinor was to be counted, though her future had not yet been firmly decided upon. It would be tempting fate to assume that none would come for her, and claim her as their lost child.

Gethin and Ewan would be to be included in the celebrations, along with their mother and her blacksmith husband William. With the good offices of the Prior they would be almost two dozen souls, and all would need feeding at the post nuptial celebrations.

A challenging task in those days of poor harvests after the pestilence.

Though dwelling now in the village over the smithy, Elizabeth could not be excluded, for her contribution to the efficient running of the Gisborne household, and her invaluable help with the children through many difficult times could not be overlooked.

She had ay been willing to offer her services, both at the cottage and the farmhouse, and an invitation seemed little reward for her loyalty.

The menfolk primed lanterns, pegged out bunting in the trees, and cleared out the small barn. It was thought that should the day of the wedding prove not to be fine, inclement weather would not be permitted to spoil the day.

After much searching,  ( and flinging aside ),  of a multitude of gowns, in a veritable myriad of hues, the bridal dress was chosen, and some small alterations made, as to the fashion of the day, in as much as it could be known.

Auriel, Glenys and Ghislaine sewed frantically into the night, whilst Gwyneth, believing herself to be Queen of the day, issued orders to all as to the placement of lace and other adornments.

It must be said that Ghislaine was a most unwilling seamstress, and after several hours or inexpert stabbing of her fingers through silks and satins, she was despatched to the kitchen to assist Elizabeth, who was baking as a woman possessed, to ensure that the family would be fed, and that the wedding breakfast would be sufficient unto the day.

Though such a small number were to be in attendance, it seemed that preparations were a mite overzealous, and the drain on Edmund's purse would be extreme, though he cared not a jot if he was to take to wife  the witch he had loved for so long.

" She is the light of my life," he said to Guy, as they filled the hay nets and rubbed down the horses after their long day pulling the plough.  " I can refuse her nothing."

" Many years have I waited for this marriage, and I dare to hope that it will come to pass without further delay. Come hell or high water, she shall be legally mine, or I will know the reason why."

Then he seemed to recall another matter close to his heart, and spoke  further.

"Tell me," he asked, " have you thought on the future of the little one  Elinor, is she to be ours, or remain a member of the Gisborne family?"

" I confess it has ay been my dream to have a child, and she will be dearly loved, of that there is no doubt, a house is no home without children, and my heart is set on it."

Guy gave a loud sigh, but shook Edmund's hand with affection, and in confirmation of a decision made.

" We shall miss her sweet presence for a while," he said, " but we are decided, she will be best with you, her life thus far has been much troubled, and we feel that at times she finds our crowded house too much to bear, even though she is loved."