EPILOGUE/CH1

Though surprised by the suddenness of her beloved Edmund's unseemly haste for Holy Wedlock, Gwyneth quickly acquiesced, though the Prior remained to be completely convinced of its legality, no banns having been read in the district.

Indeed he continued to mutter to himself on the subject whenever he thought himself to be unobserved.

In the end it was the promise of provender for the Priory that swayed him. That, and a large sign on the farm gate alluding to the upcoming marriage, which adjured that any who knew of a lawful impediment to the joining should step forward and declare it within two days.

As only two days remained until the upcoming pre-marital Sabbath, little thought was given to any such impediment. Gwyneth had outlived five husbands, so was fair for a wedding, and legally widowed when she had come to the farm  some years before.

Though she desired no new gown for the great day, there was much searching out of cupboards and chests, as she selected what she termed the "best of the worst," and made what alterations she could in the little time remaining.

The Prior, being a man not used to female frivolities and fripperies, kept himself to the confines of his bedchamber, save for those times when a  meal of any kind should be prepared.

A man of good appetites, he availed himself freely of all provender on offer, despite his holy calling. Not for him the austerity endured by the starving brothers over whom he presided.

Never a man known to uphold the rules of his Order, he had fared better than most during difficult times, never stinting himself when the local populace came bearing tasty morsels to his Holy House.

For Guy and Hywell, the days passed as they always had, in a flurry of farm work, though the assistance of Edmund was much valued. During the time of the sickness, the barest of husbandry had been carried out on the farm.

A minimum of beasts had been retained at the farm, kept solely for the use of those who dwelt therein, and many fields had lain fallow for too long. The pasture they afforded the beasts was welcome, but more sheep and heifers were now being purchased, these last to be covered by Hector as soon as their cycle of fertility came to the fore.

In the dairy, Glenys and Auriel worked tirelessly to produce enough cream, butter and cheese as word arrived desiring it's sale or barter. Elizabeth came each day, always willing to care for the little ones, either in the cottage or the farm kitchen, as Gwyneth sought both to run the household, and prepare for the day she had awaited so long.

Guy said that his purse would not run to new garments for the upcoming nuptials, the only complaint uttered being from Ghislaine, who reiterated constantly that she had no gown suitable for the event.

Her tale was so familiar to all at the house, that it went unnoticed, much to her chagrin.

Gheraint had finally freed himself from the curse of pimples that had assailed him for so long, and declared that he would have a silk waistcoat, if one could be purchased, or made by his Mama.

He declared that the wearing of such might enable him to entice any pretty girls who might be in attendance, but his joy was short lived as it came to him that the only guests in attendance would be his own family, save of course for the Prior, and the folk from the farm's two cottages.

The discussion about Elinor and her future place within the circle of the family came about almost by chance, though surprisingly, there was complete agreement as to its outcome. Edmund, Gwyneth, Guy and Auriel were seated in the parlour, supper having been eaten and cleared away.

The Prior had taken himself off for the usual nightly prayers and offices in his bedchamber, but as a guest his opinion on the matter was not sought.

The family spoke of many things that night, not least the upcoming marriage, but as the night drew on, no further discussion was required, as all preparations were complete.