Part 26

'Your class rankings are displayed on the board outside of the class. The rankings for the top 10 are displayed on the school board. Class dismissed,' the teacher said and left the class. Everyone rushed outside the class to check what ranking each and everyone got. I clutched my heat as a lump formed down my throat. Okay. I am okay. Third rank won't even be that bad. I tip toed outside the classroom and stopped in front of the board. At least third. Please god. My eyes immediately darted to one who became first. 

1. Lee Felix

I heaved a deep breath. Okay okay I got this. All I have to do is search for my name. It has to be in the top 5 at least. It has to be. My heart broke as I saw my rank.

9. Choi Hyerin

I am doomed. I felt little water drops on my cheek. Shit. Why the fuck am I crying? Oh god. This is so embarrassing. I peeped into the classroom and saw Felix still sitting on his bench. He knows he scored first place. What confidence. There was no need to check the school board. My name wouldn't be there anyway. On my way outside the school, I heard some gossip. 

Do you know who scored first place in the school board?

Who else would it be? Felix of course.

He is in first place for three consecutive years.

Omo he is so intelligent.

Yeah of course. He'd score first place. Was it even up for an arguement? No. I went home quickly and laid on my bed. Oppa wasnt back yet. Thinking of the embarrassment I have to face when I meet Felix, I cried. Yeah so immature of me. I cried silent tears which left nothing but a stained cheek.

This never happened. Ever. I once came second in my old school but that time I was in 3rd grade. I never came in second place. I can imagine Felix smirking at me and saying, 'You lost the bet. You have to grant me a wish. I wish for you to become my personal assistant for the rest of your life.' I groaned as tears fell again. This wasn't mere loss, it was sheer failure.   

Being the coward I am, I called my mom. 'Mom?' I asked as soon as she picked up. 'Yes dear? Oh my god, are you crying?' she asked me, totally horrified. 'Mom can I go back home? To Australia? I miss you all,' I said as I wiped my tears. 'Why? What happened dear?' she asked me again. 'I scored nineth rank in class. It's very bad. And things are more complicated than that,' I mumbled. 'Yes sure. You can come back anytime. Its your home. But I want you to think about it first. Dont take decisions in the heat of the moment. Think about it alright?' she asked me as I mumbled a yes.

I directly called Haneul after my mom's call ended. 'Hey,' she said as soon she picked up. 'Hey,' I replied. 'I know. I know. But it's nothing to worry about,' she said and I could imagine her smiling. 'Haneul....I am thinking about going back to Australia,' I said, not sure of her reaction. 'Why?! What happened?! Did I do something wrong?! Oh my god. Sorry Hyerin, for whatever I did. I am bringing my inhaler, you're on speaker,' she said, freaking out. But my own freaked out mind forgot about what she said a few seconds ago. 

'No no. It's not something you did. I miss my family too and moreover it's been months since I last saw them. Almost six. I was supposed to go back to Australia in six months. I think I am going to go back. I am very lonely here. It's not your fault. I promise to keep in touch with you--.' She cut me off by saying, 'Yes sorry? Were you saying anything? I am in the living room. I went to fetch my inhaler from my room. The phone was on speaker. I did not hear anything. What were you saying?'

 'Wait-- the phone was on speaker? No one is in the room right?' I asked. 'What's wrong with him? Oh yes. Felix was in the room but he dashed out,' she said. Oh shit. He must have heard everything. Shit. Shit. 

'I will miss you. When are you leaving?' she asked me, sniffling her nose. 'Probably this week. I still have to book my ticket. Whenever I come to Korea to meet my aunt, I'll be sure to meet you too Haneul,' I said. 'Yes. Don't you dare forget about me,' she started crying. 'I am cutting the call. I have some important business to do,' she said while crying. How important the business was I understood. 'Okay, bye, crybaby,' I said while laughing. 

I laid on my bed again. Am I doing everything right? Should I not go? No! I should! I am tired of this place anyway. The bell started ringing violently. That was probably oppa. Oh right! I have to tell him too. 'Coming,' I screamed from upstairs. I opened the door to see someone totally unexpected. 

'Felix? Why are you panting?' I asked him. 

'I ran here,' he replied.  

'From where?' 

'My house.'

'Your house is next door,' I said while pointing at my right side. 

'I have two houses. My original house,' he said while rolling his eyes. 

'Why are you here?' I asked him again. 

'You are leaving?' he asked me back. 

'Yes,' I muttered under my breath. 

'Why?'

'I have my reasons. That does not concern y--.'

'It does!' he suddenly raised his voice. 

'You can do nothing to make me stay,' I fake laughed. 

'Alright. You can leave. But you forgot something,' he said while entering my house, uninvited. 

'What is it?' I asked him. 

'The bet. I won the bet. You have to grant me a wish.'

'What can your wish be? You basically have everything,' I scoffed. 

'Promise me that you will keep my wish.'

'Alright. I promise. What is it that you wish for?' I asked while making a poker face. 

He walked to me and held my palm in his hands. 'My wish is.....for you to stay. Stay?' 

That's when my heart fluttered like it had never done before. 

'