5 | sleeping beauty

It had been a day since Dianna last saw ransom.

She assumed he was working with Harlan yesterday as he never came to her office and she never saw him in the kitchen or even leaving for the day. Not that it bothered Dianna, she was able to get her work done in peace.

Even though she hadn't seen ransom he had been on her mind. There was something about him, something that made her want to be around him. She couldn't exactly explain it, maybe it's because he's the only friend she's made since being in Boston. Would she even call them friends? Maybe more of an acquaintance or a colleague.

Dianna had become behind on her chapters, she didn't know how it had happened. She was always ahed but with ransom taking over her brain she just couldn't focus like she normally would. Because of this she had decided to stay late, watching everyone leave at 5 sucked. Especially when she had left over Chinese waiting at home for her, but she had work to do and if that meant staying late she would do it.

The clock struck 7pm, she was still there. Then again at 9pm, again at 11pm. Hour after hour she felt herself becoming more tired but she was catching up just like she promised herself. It wasn't until her head hit the desk that she fell into a deep sleep.

————

"Dianna, Dianna. Wake up"

Dianna began to stir as she felt someone shake her. She groaned lifting her head from the desk, she rubbed her eyes adjusting to the light when she saw ransom standing beside her.

"Ransom" she stood up adjusting her shirt "what are you doing here? Did I fall asleep?"

Ransom chuckled at her clearly confused state "it's 10am I'm working with you today. And yes you were sleeping when I got in, you stayed all night?"

"I guess so, I was behind on work so I stayed to catch up I must have drifted off. Wait how long have you been here?"

"Oh only a couple of seconds, I came in and saw you were sleeping so thought I would wake the sleeping beauty" he wouldn't tell her that he had been in since 9:30am. He didn't want to freak her out, he wasn't watching her sleep in a creepy way it was just nice to see her look so peaceful, so calm. He noticed every little movement, heard every little mumble she made. It made him wonder what she was dreaming about, could it be him? No, no. Why was he thinking like this, he had just met the girl. She had just met him. Why would she be dreaming of him?

"Thanks for waking me, you-" she took a deep breath preparing herself to ask a question she never thought about until now "you wanna go get some breakfast?"

Ransom was taken back to say the least, this was not what he expected when he walked into her office this morning. "What about work? Does the little bossy girl wanna ditch work?" He teased

"Well I'm hungry and I also got a lot done last night but if you want to stay here be my guest" she shrugged grabbing her back and walking towards the door

"Wait, I never said no"

he followed her, both of them walking to the car park. Once outside she walked towards her car before ransom came to a stop.

"Nope, we're going in mine"

She took a minute to look around the car park, noticing his car wasn't here. "But your car isn't even here"

"Yeah it is" he opened the passenger door to the beemer sitting in front of him

Dianna was confused, this was not the car she was in the other day. "You got a new car?" She questioned walking towards him and the car

"I've got two, this one is my baby. Only used when I know it'll be safe. Now get in"

She rolled her eyes at his demanding tone as she got into the car, ransom closing the door behind her as he quickly walked around to the drives side jumping in.

The two sat in silence as ransom drove. Ransom didn't know what to say while Dianna was stealing glances whenever she could. There was something about seeing him drive that made Dianna feel like she was on fire. The way his hands would move on the steering wheel, the way his eyes creased as he focused on the road. What finished her off, what made her feel like she could die in this seat was when he was reversing into a spot. He put his arm behind her head, turning his head to see where he was going. Dianna let in a sharp breath, trying to contain herself.

"You okay?" He asked seeing the change in her behaviour

She nodded quickly opening the door once he had came to a stop "come on, I'm hungry"

Once she had closed the door ransom smirked to himself. He hadn't missed the glances she gave him, he saw every single one and he made sure to put on a show.

Once he was out of the car the two walked into the cafe both of them sitting down at a small table. The two ordered their food before speaking.

"So you were working with Harlan yesterday?"

He nodded "yeah, he wanted to go through some stuff. Nothing he hasn't taught me before"

Dianna smiled at the waiter as he brought over the breakfasts they had ordered. Ransom went with a full English while Dianna opted for pancakes and strawberries.

"He believes in you a lot, you know that right?"

Ransom sighed nodding. He knew Harlan believed in him, he did but hearing people pester him every day of his life drove him insane. Yet having Dianna say it felt different, almost as if she cared about him instead of just wanting him to do well to fit in with his family. She genuinely wanted him to do well. "I know, I do"

"Then why don't you do something? Something to make yourself proud"

Himself proud? No one had ever cared about that. He has always been told to make others proud. As much as he appreciated Dianna caring this was getting deep too deep for breakfast, he was making himself vulnerable. "Can we talk about something else?" He asked clearing his throat

"Of course" she nodded taking a bite out of her pancake

"So you never went home last night, won't you have people worrying?" He asked, there was a question he was desperate to ask but he had to set it up correctly

She shook her head "I Live alone"

"What about your boyfriend? If you want you can call him, I don't mind"

"Oh I- I don't have a boyfriend."

"You don't? Oh sorry" he tried his best not to smile, he decided he would keep those thoughts until later

"Tyler you met the other day, he was my last boyfriend" she explained

"What about your friends? They haven't called?" He asked taking a bite from his bacon

She shook her head "I actually haven't made any friends since I moved"

"You haven't?" Ransom was surprised, he didn't understand how a girl like her hadn't made any friends yet

"Nope, I haven't exactly been out though"

All of a sudden an idea came to him. "Well how about you come out on Friday? I normally go to a club, you could come with"

Dianna couldn't help the smile that took over her face, was he inviting her on a date? "I would lo- like that, I would really like that"

He smiled pulling his phone out his pocket and handing it to her "here, put your number in"

She was smiling ear to ear as she typed her number in, she couldn't help it. "There you go" she handed him his phone back

"We should be getting back before you get in trouble"

"Yeah" she nodded