23 장

(Listen to the song on the soju scene for extra feels)

Daegu

After reading what Kang Hoon etched on his diary, Eon Jin think she failed as mother. How can't she miss-look that Kang Hoon is totally affected by the separation. Behind those wide toothy smile he always gives her, lies a sad boy who thinks that his sister's death is caused by him and drove his parents to be divorced. Reading word by word penned by his son is like thousands of daggers stabbing her heart. Each word Kang Hoon wrote represent a sharp dagger. Pain is understatement. She couldn't find a word to describe what she felt now. 

After a heartfelt talk with her ex husband last night, both Eon Jin and Tae Pyung decided to talk to their son and help him to overcome this problem. Even Tae Pyung felt terrible looking at what Kang Hoon scribbled on his sketchbook. When he shared those photos with her, she reminded of what Jayson always hinted her. That Kang Hoon's manhwa character looks ugly and sad but she did not pick up that it is her son's inner feelings. She always assumed that like other children, Kang Hoon just loves to draw comic to waste time.

She invited her ex for dinner and made samgyetang as both her son and his father love it. The family of three enjoyed their meal as it has been a while they haven't eat together. Tae Pyung finished the one whole chicken by himself although he claimed he is not that hungry.

"Only you know how to make samgyetang the way I like it. Even my mother's soup taste slightly different," he said after he gobbled the last drop of the soup from the bowl.

Eon Jin couldn't help it but, there she feels slightly proud by his praise. She shyly smile and try to avoid his gaze. "Don't compare me with eomonim. She is a great cook and I am still far from her skills."

"Aniyo Eomma, Appa is saying the truth. Your samgyetang is better than halmeoni's. It's the best in the world," Kang Hoon put his two thumbs up and grinned silly. The two father and son always on the same page when trying to flatter her with her food. They have same palate.

"Komawo, Adeul. You are the best son," she ruffled his hair and caressed his face gently. She tried to impose a smile although she still affected by the fact that his son maybe not as happy as he seems. Tae Pyung who noticed the look on his ex wife, slowly reached for her hand and held it. No words spoken but he knows that Eon Jin needs someone to support her now.

Finally, the time to talk with their son came. After dinner, the three of them sit down on the dining table with Tae Pyung next to his son, and Eon Jin opposite of them. The 12 year old suddenly looks nervous. His mind is wandering if he do anything wrong to his parents.

"Kang Hoon ah, is there anything you want to tell Eomma and Appa? Something that you are feeling sad about?" Tae Pyung initiated the conversation but Kang Hoon did not answer. He just hanged hi head low and try to avoid his parents' looks. They waited for him but after a long silence, Tae Pyung rephrased the question, "Did Hattie ahjumma said something to you the other day? It's okay, you can tell us. Don't worry."

Feeling guilty, Kang Hoon finally nodded. "Nae," his answer is almost inaudible.

Eon Jin and Tae Pyung both led out a deep sigh. How come they never addressed this issue earlier on. They should have known that Hattie must have said something hurtful to their son that makes him left the house without telling anyone.

"What did she said?" Eon Jin asked slowly. However, Kang Hoon still choose to keep numb. "Did she said that you caused your sister's death that drove Eomma and Appa apart?"

Kang Hoon startled as he heard what his mother just said. He looked up to Eon Jin and nervously asked, "How...how do you know, Eomma? Did Hattie ahjumma threatened you?" Tears began to pool up inside his eyes. He looks really worried of what Hattie could do to his Eomma.