Peter and Rocky

After the pogues dropped me off at home I went inside to find mom, Morgan, Peter all sat around the kitchen island.

And Rocky; our family dog was laying down lent up against the island.

I was excited to say the least. Peter is my best friend and has been since 2nd grade when some idiot spilled their lunch all over me and Peter offered me his sweatshirt so I didn't smell like sloppy joes all day. We've also been through a lot together; Peter knew what is was like to lose a parent and so he was there for me the most after mama passed. I was also there for him after aunt May passed.

He had already caught up with mom and dad on the way to the house from the mainland and so I spent some time with him for awhile on the back deck and we talked about all the things we could do on the island. I even asked him if anything had happened while we were gone even though we had only left a day before Peter had.

After we caught up I left him and Morgan alone to catch up as well. She gave him a tour of the house and showed him where his bedroom was.

Hours passed of me just unpacking the rest of my clothes and laying in my bed with Rocky while everyone else was doing their own stuff and now it was time for dinner.

Back home we never really ate meals as a family cause everyone was busy with their stuff and so I think because we all agreed to be a "normal family" and we don't wanna let dad down we're finally eating like normal families do.

"So Maddie, who were Those kids who dropped you off today?" Dad asked finishing up his dinner.

"Oh just some people Morgan and I met at the kegger last night." I simply said. I wasn't really in the mood to talk to anyone.

"What about that JJ kid? Just some one you met last night?" Dad said with a hinting tone.

I let out a frustrated sigh. "Yes dad I met JJ yesterday as well. And I don't know what your trying to hint at, but if it has anything to do with me getting into another relationship than you should just give up."

I don't blame dad for wanting me to go out and find a boyfriend. Hes not the only one either so does mom and everyone else. I just don't want to get into something serious because sooner or later that special someone is going to leave me whether it's their choice or not.

"Maddie we just want you to be happy." Mom chimes in reaching across the table to grab my hand. "We know how much you loved Pietro and we also know how much his death affected you."

I don't know why that always affects me so much but it does. Their pity affects me.

"Thanks mom, but you can't really live in the past forever." I stand up moving my hand from hers and grabbing my empty plate to bring it to the sink.

I could feel their gazes following me while I walked to the sink, so I changed the subject to get away from the awkward atmosphere.

"So Peter, you ready to start your job tomorrow?"

They all got distracted and started up a conversation about Peter working at the hotel while I cleaned the dishes and listened from afar.

Soon we all finished eating and cleaning up. We spent the rest of the night watching some tv and talking about what events are happening this summer.

Mom went to visit the Cameron's this morning and found out every year the have this big event called Midsummers.

It sounds fancy.

I couldn't sleep that night. Maybe it was because I was still getting used to how hot it is here or more realistically; the fact I almost got my fucking head blown off and the pogues looked so relaxed about it.

I'm used to being in close encounters with weapons- hell I know how to use most weapons, but I've never been shot at.

I wanna know why they were lying to the cops and why they were being so secretive about a stupid boat.

Maybe I'll stop by John b's tomorrow.

XoXo,
Lani❤️