CHAPTER 42.

CHAPTER 42: her flicker of hope.

Y/n's POV.

"player 173, eliminated."

"player 240, eliminated."

my heart felt like it fell into a deep dark hole as I heard Ji-Yeong's number being mentioned after Kenji's.

"no..."

Ji and Kang Sae Byeok were partners.

Fuck.

My hands turned cold as I dropped everything I was holding and ran back to the room where the players were.

God please no this can't be true, this can't be happening.

I can't lose her too!

I realised I was the only player that hasn't come back, my eyes looked everywhere for them but all I saw was Gi-Hun, Sang-Woo, and...

"S-sae..."

She's here... she's okay, oh my god she's okay,

that means...

my tears started to roll down,

Ji-Yeong's gone.

I didn't hesitate to run towards Sae Byeok,

"Y/n..." she whispered, her sobs vanished as I engulfed her in a tight hug.

I'm sorry I couldn't be there for you and Ji.

It hurts so much, if I only knew it'll be the last time I'll see her I should've told her how thankful I am that I met her. Told her how her mom's passing wasn't her fault, that I'm proud of her for being so, so brave.

"I-i t-tried telling her to t-throw it again Y-y/n... I'm sorry..."

We lost so much, so much people that meant to us. It's all too much. There isn't anyone to blame, but why did we have to let them get away?

I wiped her cheeks, brushing her hair as I cried onto her shoulders.

I can't believe Kenji, Ji-Yeong, Ali and the old man are gone. Everything happened so quickly, and in just a pull of a trigger, gone.

"w-we both tried to stop them, Sae." my tears didn't stopped, as my cries only became more worse.

"I'm sorry." she suddenly told me, the both of us laying down on her bed.

I understand now, Sae.

I should've understood what you were trying to point out to me, I wasn't just being giving. I was being naive, too naive. I should've known that woman would trick me, and that you were only worried about me. I'm sorry for being so inconsiderate.