39 ◦✿◦ Fun of Four

-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ-

Her companions' eyes darted to the small man that bumped her, but the nimble feet of the thief has already taken him out of sight.

Garth's face darkened and turned around with his new dagger for the hunt. But Lizzie caught his arm. "Don't kill him!" Her voice was louder than she intended. "Don't." This time she said it in almost a whisper after the bypassers halted in surprise.

Instantly, what little space they had increased, as if the people were pushed backed by the murderous intent of Devanti and her brothers.

Lizzie tightened her grip. "Garthie."

It was just a satchel, and a drop in her pool of personal funds. Knowing the family when it comes to Lizzie's concerns, they tend to overreact. Waging war against the empire was the proof.

"Fine, I promise."

Only then she let go. Garth never broke any promises, so she believed him.

With one gone, they continued treading the crowd, back to the carriage. This time, Devanti and Erdan flanked her on both sides and glared at people. Naturally, they gave them leeway. The boy who took a longer and roundabout route with the cart of Erdan's purchases arrived ten minutes later.

"It's delicious, right Papa?" she asked. Currently, they claimed themselves a spot in the city park, sitting under the shade of a tree. Their loot from the food stalls they passed by laid out on Devanti's coat. "I like the honeybread the best."

The king frowned but chewed the misshapen lump vegetable balls into his mouth. Whilst Erdan examined the hard candy with all his senses before putting into his mouth.

"Elizabeth, what's wrong?" Devanti asked, after he swallowed everything.

Lizzie, on the verge of giving him another one pulled her hand back. "What do you mean Papa?" She even tilted her head to feign ignorance and feed herself.

"You asked about marriage and you pulled everyone here all of a sudden. Tell me."

If only it was that easy. She was returned to the Norvillon household and was destined to die in their hands. Yet now, years later, she'll risk hers for them.

"Won't anyone feel pressured when they're turning into an adult?" This was a lie. "I'm just really scared." This was the truth. "So, I wanted to spend time with everyone. We have all been busy, you know."

Lizzie grinned, handed the same vegetable sticks to Devanti and Erdan. Both of them didn't believe her, but they accepted.

It has been more than eight years since she became Feliziia, yet, it was as if time was too fast for her but too slow for her father. For a man in his early forties, he looked more like an eldest sibling among the Norvillons. It was as if he never aged the first time he met Lizzie by the kitchen in his blood soaked armor.

And Erdan, he had grown more wicked over the years. The family was probably the only ones who had seen his real smile. Once, when her tongue slipped over difficult term from a book. Or was it when they signed that agreement of relinquishing his title succession and even signed it like a contract?

Well, it doesn't matter. She must have seen his genuine smile between other things he challenged her.

"What?" He asked when she stared too long with a grin.

Lizzie shook her head. More than anything, he resembled their father the most when he had the same pensive look.

"Found you!" Garth was the same, if it wasn't his usual lively expressions, he would be Devanti, only in sunkissed shade. "The driver said you'd be here." He plopped down on the space between Erdan and Devanti, across Lizzie.

From the pocket of his pants, he handed her the clothe sheepskin satchel, with her money still inside. "I didn't kill him," he said.

Lizzie grinned and forced food into his mouth. "I know."

They ate then talked in between, with Lizzie forcing the conversation. The din of the park filled the wide gaps of their silence. Children's laughter, conversations and music ahead filled their space with life.

To avoid their heavy glances at their father's brooch, Lizzie bought them each from the same seller. And the seller, who probably was the only one that recognized the royal family, trembled and groveled at his feet. He mumbled about using all his life's luck and thanked the gods.

She dragged her family to listen to street musicians and Erdan became a little more perturbed with the wrong note from the accordion, as he said. Lizzie pulled him away before he could list all the wrongs with the performance.

They watched Garth join the arm wrestle challenge to a big man who called himself "Iron Beourgie" that challenged spectators five silvers per try and a hundred silvers for victory.

Erdan lost, because he broke the table, along with Beourgie's arm. Lizzie, dragged him away as well.

As the sun was slowly surrendering against the night, the carriage was climbing up the castle. From the open window, Lizzie watched the sky setting orange and purple began its claim in the sky.

She was spent taking her brothers away after they had caught other's attention just by being themselves. Then there was Devanti who began asking 'Do you want this?' everytime something catches her eyes. And yet, she was still grinning.

"Feliziia, what do you want for your birthday?" Devanti asked beside her.

She wondered if he could give her 'peace of mind.' But instead of the formless 'Nothing.' or 'Anything is fine.', she replied a "A day like this from time to time, only the four of us."

She learned her lessons. The last time, her father gifted her a second key to the treasury. Years before that was a plot of land and construction of the orphanage in her honor. Then there was a ship.

From the experience, she wouldn't dare joke to ask for a country or the emperor's head.

"That's rather sentimental," Erdan commented, checking one of his book purchase. Garth beside him was asleep but would wale up at the slightest bump of the carriage.

"But it's fun..." she said  She shifted and leaned on Devanti's shoulder. Her eyes was slowly drooping and defeated the sun.

-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ-

The past chapters are too peaceful. Hmm. 

Anyway, if you are into academies, secrets powers and weird friendship combo, you might like my other story, The God Hunt. Story link in  the comment sec. :) Thank you :) 

 :) Thank you :) 

Ellena Odde