45 ◦✿◦ The Imperial Family

As this is a series, the books are connected. If you read Diana of Alcotta, you'll know what one scene here meant:

"When the silver moons are at their bluest..."

~Diana of Alcotta, 35 ♛ Dead Flowers and Butterflies

Enjoy!

-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ-

It took them a quarter of an hour before reaching the humongous Imperial Grounds, and another few minutes for the carriage to traverse the Emperor's Palace. Instead of living in it alone as per Gran Dacchian tradition, the whole Imperial family resides in it.

One of the many stark differences between the new emperor and the previous royals was the emperor's intimacy with the sole concubine and crown prince. It did not quell the noble's and other vassal kingdom's wishes to offer their daughters as concubines. It was a futile effort. The emperor was specific with his desires and he stayed true to them. It took years, but the imperial wedding would finally take place, and even before that, Diana has already been dubbed the unofficial empress.

And now, how can the emperor, a sharp man be so vague with his goals towards Norvillon?

Lizzie took a deep breath and glanced at Alec across the carriage seat, who never spoke a word after the confession.

Alecis Gran Dacchia. It was such a dignified name, and it seemed so far away.

How it happened and the history behind it, Lizzie was dying to know.

An imperial prince. And she let him sleep on the floor and braid her hair. For some reason, Lizzie wanted to apologize. He glanced and caught her staring. She looked away and marveled at the nearing palace, illuminated with spirit stones and some lamp posts wrapped in thin colors to cover the flames.

Like a curious cat, she threw a furtive glance—he was still staring, blatant and intent, as if his eyes which stole the glint of light outside the carriage window, burned her.

Lizzie refused to say something, like how he kept words of his imperial peerage.

At last, they reached the entrance of the Emperor's Palace, but aside from the welcoming servants, an oh so familiar woman stood atop the steps with an anxious expression.

The carriage stopped. Alec exited the carriage first and offered her a hand. Lizzie accepted, and wordlessly, they both walked up the stairs. For an empress, she wore a humble gown of deep red and black trims. She was still beautiful, and almost didn't age the last they met. Lizzie was suddenly conscious of her elaborate and bright gown.

Lizzie then curtsied, so elegantly, Madam Vaddenver would have shed tears in pride. "Greetings, Your Imperial Majesty."

"Ana," Diana replied. "Ana is better." The concubine pulled her into a tight embrace. "It's been so long. I have missed you."

Lizzie could not organize her feelings at the moment. She did miss Ana, her tutor. But the woman in front of her was Diana Alcotta Gran Dacchia, the future official empress. With the vague threat of war and the relationship between their territories, it was difficult for Lizzie to merge the two personas. After all, her family was not on friendly terms with the Gran Dacchians. She opted for politeness and a simple "You flatter me, Your Majesty."

However, as Lizzie raised her head, there were short heartbeats of silence, and Diana's smile faltered. "Your Majesty?" Diana asked with a tinge of sadness, as she cupped the younger's face, staring straight into her eyes. The empress' pensive silence was then replaced with curiosity, then her eyes widened into enlightenment.