42 ◦❀◦Hut Stories

-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ-

To put it bluntly, it was anti-climatic.

Lizzie who was 'abducted' whilst picking berries and peas was taken by an old friend in a knight's disguise, and they just... walked, to the forest border.

"How did you do that? Sneaking in?" she asked him an hour later, while they were threading a path on horseback, her on the front and him behind in the reins.

"Luck," he said. "It's not like I'm alone."

She thought of the possibility, and maybe, he had a man working from the Norvillon ranks.

"Uncreative though," she replied, already lost count of berries into her mouth.

"Why?"

"It's not the first time I was taken by knight's disguise..." Lizzie's voice trailed off.

"Did you know?" she asked after his silence. "The emperor wore a knight's uniform too."

"He did, huh."

There was nothing more. The chirp of birds and the hooves stomping against the forest floor filled their silence.

She gripped the basket refused to let go. It was not because of pride, but it calmed her, a piece of home she carried before crossing borders.

By now, the knights and everyone involved would be turning everything inside out for a search, and her father would turn the world upside down.

She was of three things.

1. Terrified, of her family's wrath to whoever 'abducted' her, to Lizzie herself after they find out that she volunteered, and to the knights and Garth, who was present at her disappearance.

2. Scared, of what awaits in her poor plan that solely relied on trust to an old friend.

3. Fearful for the aftermath of what she left.

They are all of the same things, the same reason for the pounding of her chest and occasional shaky breaths, prayers to gods here and there.

The good thing was she had already written her farewell letter in her drawer, which would later be found when they search her belonging for clues.

It was nothing much, just a simple sorry that she had to leave, that she is safe and she will return soon. To when is that 'soon,' Lizzie had no idea.

"Aren't we supposed to cross borders as soon as possible?" She asked him, when they reached the edge of the forest, close to a farming village. Lizzie pulled her hood lower to hide her face, Alec did the same. They were now behind a small hut.

It was already high noon and light was blindingly bright and hot.

Alec left saddled off the horse first, and like the first time he lifted her, he asked. "May I?"

She handed him the basket first and he took it, placed beside his feet like it was the most precious thing. Then he lifted her off next. With how gentle he was, it seems the basket was the second preciously handled thing now.

Her feet landed on the ground and she gained her footing. With his hands snaking her waist, she looked up to him.

Lizzie was annoyed.

He was just an inch taller than before. An inch. But now he was a head and more taller. "You grew up well, huh?" she whispered.

"I can't say the same to you."

Her eyebrows twitched. You punk.

A man in a farmer's garb interrupted before she could stomp on his foot. "Welcome."