◦❀◦The Next Chapter◦❀◦

-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ-

The party in the ballroom was in full swing. Alec was currently in an immersive conversation with Lizzie's brothers and other nobles.

Although it was a happy occasion, the news about Syl Sulivar's open declaration of war reached the empire. Discussions buzzed about how it would affect the treaties within the continents. Rumors have it that Gran Dacchia and Levich are also supporting Syl Sulivar against the city-states alliance of Hanasubus.

"More of a personal revenge," Alec whispered to her one after when she asked. "Father holds grudges, I think it's the same with Levich."

"Is it related to the bombing attempt in the palace years ago?" She remembered how her teacher shivered at one of their history lessons. The incident with the emperor lighting a bomb earned the infamous "Madman's Assembly" in hushed conversations.

The said event almost ignited a war between two empires, then quickly diffused. With the strong relationship between the two, multiple theories sprouted. One of them was the city-states' involvement, who benefited the most from inland tax trade if the sea trade between the two empires failed.

"A plausible theory. Excellent," Alec said, patting her head.

She smacked his hand, earning shaking heads and a few smiles from the servants behind them who were used to the 'banter' of the couple. "I had a great history mentor."

"You did." Then their walk resumed.

Back in the ballroom, the talks of Syl Sulivar were more of passing and topics shifted from one thing to another.

Devanti was now taken hostage by the emperor. Despite their differences, Lizzie thought they get along... in a way. Diana was currently sermoned by Lady Vaddenver with etiquette lessons, gatekeeping her from other nobles from Norvillon who attended the betrothal.

Lizzie, who after snatched a few delicacies by the food table and made short conversation with well-wishers, stepped out for fresh air. The knights patrol outside and some were even disguised among the servants.

She did not go far and stayed on one of the balconies. From her position, she saw two silhouettes from afar, Garth and Jasmine fleeing to the garden for their rendezvous. The princess facepalmed, yet grinned at herself.

At least they have a great relationship.

Her hands leaned on the balcony and took a deep breath, filling her lungs with the chilly breeze enough to lift the life back in her veins. The night sky was dotted with stars and the two moons were in full bloom, like inseparable lovers of the heavens.

A memory from years ago flashed in her mind. That was probably also a beautiful night like this. She couldn't appreciate the sky at that time as she was running away from a wagon that would have brought her to slavery.

The wind howled and the end of her hair, in a beautiful mess of a braid thanks to Alec, jeweled with real flowers and tiny jewels, swayed. Lizzie closed her eyes and opened with the gust was gone.

Now, a silhouette was added to the panoramic view of the sky.

It was Red, standing on the balcony edge a few feet away from her. Strangely, Lizzie did not even flinch in shock. She was calm, like welcoming an old friend.

Just like the first time they met in the dingy and rattling wagon, he was still a teenage boy with his hair glimmering like red flames against the moon. He never aged, nor did the languid yet mischievous smile of his change.

Yet, he had this omnipotent aura, too otherworldly for a human.

As he stood there, with a few red butterflies hovering around him, he coaxed her closer, Lizzie hesitated.

Red hopped off the ledge and landed with the light feet. "Well, aren't you looking like a real princess now?" he teased, playing with the ends of her hair, slightly looking up as he was shorter than her now.

"Well, aren't you late?" she retorted, squinting at him. "You left me and finished making a story on my own. You're not invited to my wedding anymore."

He laughed, the bounce in his voice echoed in the night as he twirled the tail of her braid in his fingers. "But it ended well, isn't it?"

Lizzie refused to feed his self-justification. Yet, she was glad to meet him after all these years. "What have you been doing all this time?"

He shrugged, letting go of her har. "...Just existing."

They stared at each other. She felt a sense of familiarity with him, yet they were quite different from her family and Alec. "You aren't tricking people you're a gardener, aren't you?"

"Not anymore." He scratched his head. "Should I try becoming a noble instead?"

Lizzie did not refute his suggestion. One cannot identify a person if that person's existence could not be explained by logic. Red could be a magician, a gardener, or just a figment of her imagination.

It didn't matter.

She could not explain her satisfaction with his vague identity and the closeness to the man she met only three times in her lifetime.

"And you, just do what you always do, kid. I'll miss you, yeah?"

"Kid? You're shorter and younger than me now," she replied. "And where are you going?"

Lizzie closed her eyes from the gust of wind, shivered at the chilly breeze seeping under her skin. 

"The next one," Red replied, the whispered melancholy reached her ears. "To the next chapter, Lizzie."

-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ-

3rd Book Details :

Title:

Aruna of Nowhere

Synopsis:

The sun could have everything, except his moon. It was a price to pay for defying the will of the gods.

◖❂𖤓❂◗

Aruna is dying. Yet, in her limited time, she chose to enter the palace as Giovanni's queen candidate.

Aruna is a liar too, and she wished she wasn't. She hoped to be remembered as the "wish thief" Giovanni met years ago, and not the marquis' daughter she pretends to be.

With the Wylola's Curse taking her life away, will she be able to fulfill a promise she once swore to the king of the desert? Or will her feelings force her to fight the will of the gods, fight for her life, but with the most painful price?