PROLOGUE

PROLOGUE |

The Red Village/ The Land of Ipuinia.

The entire village was silent.

All eyes were on the royal guard force that had pulled up to our tiny settlement. They were all on beautiful white steads, dressed in gold armor—a force sent by the royal city itself. At the front of the group, a boy Fionn's age. He had dark hair and such cold blue eyes. I shivered, leaning into Mama's skirt as that cold boy slid off his horse.

"We are here for the promise of an elemental," the boy said.

Mama stiffened and I knew why too. Fionn was that promise of an elemental. We all knew the stories; how elementals were born with royal magic blood, and the ability to control one of the elements. Anywhere else, having an elemental to be born to one's town was a great honor, that meant that elemental would travel to the city of elementals—the royal city—and train to be one of the king's favourite students. Elementals were automatically made duke level at least, but many ranked higher, becoming one of the king's warriors.

For our village however, it was different.

It was everyone's surprise when Fionn turned out to be an elemental. The ability to control water, the ability to carry fresh water back to the village without breaking a sweat and even catching fish easier. He alone drove starvation away from our village for two years now, a peace had spread out of the houses. We were poor, but we were a happy community.

Now they'd take Fionn away.

"I'm Fionn," my older brother said, stepping forward from the crowd, "What do you want with me? My elemental powers are barely anything to catch the royal city's attention."

He was lying, his powers were greater than any other seventeen year old elementals, Mama had even said his power could possibly rival some of the king's own elemental warriors. I wondered for a moment why he'd dare attempt to lie to these royals, and then I realized he was trying to stay.

My eyes pricked with tears, Fionn wanted to stay here.

"That will be for the king to judge," the other boy replied coldly, "My name is Erik Yarrow. I am the youngest son of the late King Yarrow and you are now to be our property."

Fionn's eyes widened and he crossed his arms over his chest. Around us, everyone in the village began murmuring, bowing down out of fear. Even Mama moved to bow, but my tight fingers prevented her from moving too far towards the ground. I had been so afraid, and my own foolishness may have gotten her whipped in the very least. But the young prince didn't notice, his eyes locked on my brother.

"I-I don't want to leave my Mother and my sister," Fionn said quickly, "My sister is only twelve, my village isn't in good health. I will not just leave."

I sniffled, "Fionn..."

The prince's eyes flickered over to me before returning to my brother's, "Does she have any elemental abilities the royal city should know about?"

"No," Mama said quickly, not lying, "No, she doesn't."

Fionn frowned, "But she could. She's only twelve season cycles."

"At twelve there would already be signs," the prince replied coolly, "You will be the only one joining us in the city. Your sister will remain here and continue on with her life without you in it. You are now property of the royal family."

Continue life without you.

The words were like a slap in the face, tears falling down my face. I turned on my heels, hot embarrassment filling me.

I was a failure.

Fionn would go onto do great things and I would be stick in this awful village. I'd go onto do nothing with my life. This village would mark the beginning and the ending of my life. A sob broke from my lips and I ran down the road, following the length of the river.

"Ciara!" Mama cried after me.

I didn't care about the consequences of my actions. I didn't care that I was being rude to royals. They were taking Fionn away and they refused to take me too. Why? We were meant to be together through life! Papa always said we had to stick together and have each other's back and now he'd be taken away and he'd never look back. He'd forget all about me and--

Woosh.

I looked up, my tears drying as water lifted from the river, dancing in the air. It took the shape of fish swirling and twirling in the air and I giggled. This was Fionn's doing. I turned around, my brother standing behind me with a smile on his face. The water fell as his hands did, and he moved forward to hug me tightly.

"Oh Fionn," I cried, "I-I don't want you to go."

"I don't want to go either," he whispered, "But I must. I can send money and gifts to you and Mama, I can help your lives improve, maybe even move you out of this village."

My head shook, "I-I don't care about that! I care about you. I want you to stay!"

"But I can't Ara."

I knew it. Deep down I knew that.

"Hey," he whispered, pulling my chin up, "We are blood. Family. And one day I will come back for you. I won't forget you, I promise you that. You're my little sister after all, I will make sure one day we'll be together again so I can pull knots out of your hair after you go on those silly hikes."

I giggled, hiccupping, "You never come hiking."

"You never come swimming," he teased back.

It was true, I always preferred going on long walks through the forest and he preferred swimming. It worked out in the end, I always ended up finding the best mushrooms or berries, and Fionn always brought home the biggest fish.

Behind him, horses came down the road. He looked behind him, it was time.

"Promise me," I cried grabbing his arm, "Promise you'll come back for me."

He smiled brightly, his grey eyes sparkling, "I promise you."

Then he left, going with the royal guards and never looked back.