Fifteen |

Fifteen |

"Still water," Orris said smugly.

My eyes narrowed, "I know that. I can see perfectly well."

It was my second day in the cenote and it was seeming as my second day of failure. No matter how much I willed myself to use the gems it simply did not work. Although, the truth behind the ability didn't fuel my wanting of the ability. Father was right, it felt wrong now to use such an ability. Didn't that make me a hypocrite? I wished to liberate the fae while using the stolen power.

Perhaps that's why it wasn't working.

Or perhaps I was simply useless.

I shut my eyes even tighter and held my hands firm in front of my body. I focused on the buzz of magic that rested under my skin and I imagined the gems. How they'd change the water into rock and how they would glow a brilliant blue.

I did all the appropriate steps and yet, nothing happened.

"You're not trying hard enough," he yawned.

Anger rippled through me, "I am trying as hard as I can!"

Not my heart nor mind were invested in this task and it frustrated me. It was an impossible task from the start. Not to mention, an impossible and unethical task. A groan of annoyance tore from my lips and I let my arms fall to my side in defeat.

"Useless," he sighed.

Tears of frustration pricked, "You do it then."

"I can't," he replied simply, "I'm not a royal."

"Well, I'm not a water elemental!"

"I told you that has nothing to do with it."

"Then you're a liar!" I laughed manically, "It's water. You wish for me to change water into a rock. W-A-T-E-R. Do you take me for a fool? Or have you just wished to slack off on training me?"

"Don't be so dramatic," he grunted.

Ha. He did not know the half of it.

Footsteps echoed through the space as we turned our attention to the gaping hole of the tunnel. In all but three seconds the form of Aldrich popped through as he waved at me eagerly. My eyes widened with surprise. He'd found us so fast but of course that was expected. I'm sure this area was no secret to the Albion family.

Orris stood swiftly before bowing, "Blessed be Albion blood."

Aldrich paid him no mind as he grinned at me, "Climb out of that filth little sister, there is an adventure to be had!"

Smiling, I did as I was told.

"You didn't drink any of the water, did you?" he asked, waving his hands over my body.

I shook my head, "No. Why?"

Moss sprouted across my body warm and fluffy. I could feel it expand as it absorbed all water before falling off my form and onto the stone. Aldrich hummed, glancing at Orris with a look of slight distaste.

"Sir, it was more important to teach her control," Orris said to him quickly, "Than worry about the effects of the water. Lady Kahuna instructed—"

"It should be common sense not to put her in harms way," Aldrich corrected with a hard voice, before looking at me, "This pond is home to gealaech wort. Elder sister to mug wort and much more potent. While its consumption has long been banned across the lands, and the plant destroyed, this pond is an old artifact of our family, of sorts. It was said that this pond could make any earth elemental more powerful or destroy them."

A squeak left my lips as I turned to Orris, "Y-You tried to kill me?"

"Don't be so dramatic," he replied, rolling his eyes, "You did not consume the water."

"I went under! Multiple times!" I snapped.

"And you live. Imagine that."

"That's why it's possible to change it into gems," I whispered in realization, "Because it's been so infused with earth that it's barely water."

"It was a good start. Eventually, you'd have the ability to create earth in the midst of another elemental abilities. Sprouting a wooden barrier through flames or plants in an ocean. I've told you, the energy comes from you. You'd be able to create your energy anywhere."

And yet it still sounded impossible for me.

Aldrich sighed heavily, "From now on, perhaps no more pond training. I'm not sure why Kahuna agreed in the first place, but my sister has always been more than cruel in her training methods. Understand?"

"Perfectly," Orris replied, his voice sharp.

Tension crackled between them, and I shifted from foot to foot nervously.

"Adventure you said?" I asked quickly.

That draw a smile onto Aldrich's face, "Yes! Come with me! Phoenix awaits!"

A giggle sprang from my lips as he grabbed my hand. Then, we were running. Through the tunnels back towards the sunlight. As we neared, the sun burned my eyes and I winced. I could see Phoenix awaiting at the entrance. Stepping out into the light, I couldn't help but squint until my eyes adjusted. As I did however, the light played a strange trick on my eyes. For a moment it seemed as though Phoenix was covered in scales. I blinked and the trick of light was gone.

"Hello friend," I laughed, running my hand across her mane.

She snorted a puff of air in greeting. My heart felt full being so near her. Aldrich climbed onto his own horse and I followed onto Phoenix. Under me, her body was warm and vibrating slightly. It felt as though she was purring. I laughed not knowing horses could purr! My hands scratched under her mane just how she liked and with that our adventure began.

"Where are we going?" I asked Aldrich.

"Back to Xirasol," he replied, kicking his horse into a faster pace, "I thought you'd like to see Loshe again and maybe try his wine. There's a dressmaker you'd like there too. I know we didn't have much sightseeing time last time."

Yes. I'd like that very much. My heart felt so full. I wished to see Loshe again and hear more of his stories, I'd also wish to see more of the culture that Neorian was built on. It was different in Rosluchait. Despite being a noble city, it was still the castle and thus, everything was grand. I didn't want to see grand court life, I wanted to see normal life and normal happiness.

Xirasol had also been on my mind since we passed. I hadn't even known the name of the town last time. Now I did and I knew more about the town. Like, despite it being called the "in between" it wasn't really. It was far closer to the castle than the border. It also had a happy balance of luxury and humble living. I've seen it first hand even if just for a mere moment.

"That sounds wonderful," I whispered, "Thank you."

Perhaps I should have questioned why he wished to get me out of the castle.