Forty-Eight |

Forty-Eight |

Peace fell over the land of Neorian after that dance. With the large dragon gone, people turned to the damage that had been done by the falling crystals and the walls destroyed by the flying drake. Of course, the appearance of a dragon and a horse transforming into a drake did cause some commotion. I picked up the pendant carefully, not yet placing it around my neck before looking at Pheonira and patting her head. 

She was even more beautiful, with dark blue scales. Her upper body was larger than her lower body, and somehow, the saddle had shifted like a perfect fit over her new form. Her scaled tail was long and curled which moved like a snake over the grass back and forth. Her golden eyes were brighter than before and held her pose with a pride that only royalty to hold. 

Phoenix...no...Pheonira was... 

...she was perfect. 

"Ciara," Kahuna pressed, sliding her sword into her sheath. "Will you explain?"

I smiled meekly. "Which part?"

My drake growled at her. 

Aldrich sighed. "I suppose it doesn't matter." 

"And yet, she must say something," Kahuna argued, taking another step before pausing. Her careful eyes on the drake beside me and I could not blame her hesitation. I couldn't explain all of it myself. "Ara, that—that is Phoenix?"

I nodded slowly. "It seems so."

"A fae had infiltrated us all this time." 

Panic filled me. "N-no. It's not like that."

"But it is," she sighed, looking up at the sky. "And yet, I cannot find any anger in my heart. How could I hate the fae when you seem to care about them so much? It makes me rather jealous; I must admit." 

Aldrich nodded. "Our little cousin is much like our uncle indeed. Always picking the fae over us, over and over again." 

"No, I...It's not like that." I could not argue because it was true, wasn't it?  

"Can you not stay?" Aldrich begged. "Ciara, please. Just give us more time." 

Silence fell over us and a strange dread filled me. 

I didn't have more time, I couldn't explain it, I just knew this all needed to happen. 

"I-I must go," I whispered, a nasty lump forming in my throat.  

Aldrich and Kahuna shared a look. "Must you?" 

"Well, she cannot stay here." 

I jolted, spinning to face Edric who had finally risen. 

"Father!" Aldrich gasped. 

"Silence. It is the truth. The kingdom has seen her destroy the crystals and unleash a dragon which destroyed part of the keep. A fae. Our sworn enemy. Ciara Rosin shall be known as the fae summoner from this day forward not the king slayer. Her acts today will be known throughout the lands," he said firmly, his face blank. 

My eyes widened. 

Aldrich stepped in front of me. "Father you cannot—" 

"Silence brother," Kahuna said softly, her face dropping. "Father is right. Ciara Rosin will be known as the fae summoner and only that. The woman with God-like powers to not only summon a dragon but also bring down the very walls of a castle. A woman no one should go up against, one that all the kingdoms should fear."

When the tears fell from her hidden face, realization filled me and I bit my lip. 

Ah. 

They were kind to me until the very end. 

"Farewell Albions. Farewell," I whispered, mounting my drake's back. 

"Ciara," Aldrich sobbed. 

"Orris," Kahuna ordered, lifting her head to shout the order, her voice hard and yet the emotions on her face as clear as the sky. "Stop Ciara Rosin! The fae summoner!"

He looked at me and nodded, dropping his blade. "Allow me to pick up my blade, then I shall do my very best to stop the Albion enemy."

We left before watching to see if the blade was picked up or not, and still, something warm in the deep parts of my heart told me that blade would stay in that spot well into the night. I buried my head into the back of Pheonira's back and sobbed to myself as she led our escape. 

Loneliness crept through my bones, and I sobbed harder as I crossed the bridge with little issues. It seemed most guards were focused on the destruction caused by the large shards and didn't care about the strange sight of a woman in silver décor riding a drake. Which I was thankful for. As it gave me more time to sob over my own actions. 

This time I could not blame Fionn's actions but my own. 

Once more, I was alone.

The trees around me shifted, reminded me of a ride I once took with Aldrich. I lifted my head as the leaves glowed blue with magic—a magic that was not mine and yet, was as royal as mine. I could feel all the weight in my heart lift, a small smile pulling onto my face. 

That's right. I wasn't alone...not anymore.

The forest whispered of earth elemental magic, and I listened to the song it sang.  

"Farewell little cousin. Be safe."

I avoided crossing through Xirasol and instead moved around the town to the south-east, thinking it was best to avoid people for a while. It turned out my drake was faster as such and not a horse, so we reached the Neorian town of Tacitus by sunset (which happen to be one of those towns built in the giant and sturdy tree platforms) so I opted to continue riding for a little while longer before stopping as night fell. From the map I'd looked at, between Tacitus and South Stria was the small village of Ranaen. While I wished to rest there for the night, it seemed that wouldn't be possible, and I'd have to camp. My eyes flickered to my drake, who had laid down and stretched with her claws in front of her like a cat. I smiled slightly. 

"Your Gytrash has revealed herself," a voice murmured into my ear. 

My eyes flickered shut and I leaned back. "You missed the fun Oberon."   

He chuckled, his arms wrapping around me. "Have faith little one, I saw it. You danced beautifully. I couldn't take my eyes off you." 

My cheeks burned. "You lie."

"Fae do not lie."

My eyes rolled. "And your thoughts on the rest of it?"

"Ah the dragon? Interesting touch. I'd once fought a dragon; she was mean and cruel--I almost lost my life, but I won in the end. I figured if you needed my abilities, I'd be fine." 

I twisted to look at him through the darkness, surprise filling me. 

When did he get so comfortable? "You're telling me your tales of war now?"

"It wasn't war," he murdered, pressing his face to my neck. "She was mad I stole one of her gems—the dragon had more gems than stars in the sky. It was a wonder she noticed." 

I sputtered. "Pardon me?"

The fae chuckled against my neck. "I'm glad you've left that place. It was made with too much iron; it made me rather nervous."

Guilt filled me and I pulled away from him to retrieve the pendant from my saddle bag. A wave of hesitation filled me once more as I stared down at it. It glowed with an old magic. I had put the circlet on carelessly, what would happen when I put the pendant on?

Why was I having doubts now?

"Don't wear it." 

I looked over at him. "Why?" 

Those golden orbs peered at me with an unknown emotion. "I cannot say."

"Then I must put it on," I sighed, lifting it over my head. 

Ah, but perhaps I should have listened. 

Or perhaps I should have learned my lesson because as soon as I slipped the chain over my neck, all the old magic clinging to the jewelry forced through my body. A soundless scream left my lips as a fire consumed me starting from my chest and darkness became my saviour.