Twelve |

Twelve |

"Grue," I muttered to myself, "Grue. Grue. Grue."

My eyes moved across Father's shelves quickly as I tried to find any book that could shed more light on the mysteries of this land. Ebby sat on my head as I hunted for information. Unfortunately, I had no such luck as I moved around the large library. I could not stop the unsettling feeling that had bloomed in my chest since Huna showed me the crystal cave this morning. Whatever secret it held...it could possibly explain why the fae are so hated by this land and maybe a way to fix such relationship.

I found a chuckle leave my lips. How did fate end up like this? Or rather, why did I believe I could somehow fix a problem that dated back generations. I rubbed my forehead carefully. My feelings were strong for the fae. I didn't want Ebby or even Oberon to suffer. A heavy sigh left my lips and I moved deeper between the shelves. I knew my Dad would have a book on anything and everything so I knew he would know all about the grue crystals—but where to look?

"What do you think Ebby?" I asked softly.

"Mek!"

I giggled, "You know as much as I do eh? How terrible for our task."

There was a sudden feeling that crept in. My eyes scanned the dark corners of the library as my heart began to flutter like the anxious wings of a hummingbird. My skin felt as though something cold and heavy had been pressed to it and I could feel the heels of my feet grow unmoving. When I inhaled, it turned into a slow and haunting exhale as if I'd been ran through with ice. Was this Fionn? No. He was far from here, this feeling was something else.

Something dangerous.

"Why are you here?"

My eyes widened as I looked at the man in front of me. Father. He stared at me with such a cold gaze that it felt as thought my heart was being punished. If I could feel my body, I'd imagine crying. Although, that was the same response every time I saw the ghost of his past.

"Oh, don't be so cold," a sickly-sweet voice purred.

She came from the side of my body, dressed in luxurious fabrics and all kinds of jewels sewn to her pale green gown. She was beautiful. With long curled blonde locks and bright brown eyes that looked all too familiar. I noted the strange hair clips in her hair—they looked crafted of iron. My eyes flickered down past her diamond shall to her delicate gloves; where those seemed to have been made of iron too. I took a small breath, realizing that this woman must be the late queen that I'd previously heard of.

Aurora Albion.

She was tall but not quite father's height and despite her body being covered, I could see the muscles on her arms. This woman could fight, I realized. It had me in a state of awe. However, as much as I liked her, I could see father did not and I knew he'd have a very good reason.

"I don't allow people in my library," he said simply.

A pretty smile pulled across her lips, "So I hear. It's a silly rule. Why own a library if no one is allowed to enter it? So many rooms in this place are like that. Royals only. That sounds cruel. How do you expect your men to follow you when you refuse to bond with them?"

"You have only yourself to blame," he replied, pulling an iron bookmark from a book, "You've violated my space. I told you—"

"I thought you'd wish this space protected!" she threw her arms up, "I was doing you a favor. Those creatures have no right to enter royal space."

"They have more a right than you."

My eyes widened as he snapped at her. Aurora, however, did not seem fazed. Instead, she moved over to him, placing a hand on his chest as she leaned closer than a woman ought to lean. My cheeks blushed and I suddenly felt angry for Mother. I knew this was before they met but still...it felt wrong.

Father thought so too as he grabbed her wrist, "What are you doing?"

"Marry me," she said softly, "Am I not fitting to be a Queen? My father—"

"Owns the largest trading guild among the lands. I'm well aware. I'm also aware of his fae hunting business. However, Aurora Walden, allow me to remind you, you own nothing. I have no interest in you nor your blood trade fae hunter. Come to my library again and I will tell my brother just how you attempted to betray him and seduce me."

Her face grew red, "You wret—"

"—aggy prince," a deep voice said in my ear, snapping me out of the dream like a bucket of cold water on a Winter morning.

I let out a gasp, if was as if my body was yanked back through time and space, and my knees suddenly gave out as if I had been standing for a terribly long time. I crumbled to the floor, my knees hitting the hard surface. My eyes drew up as the sense of confusion slowly passed and I looked to see Orris standing beside me looking not so impressed.

"Do you often fall asleep standing up?" he demanded.

My eyes rolled and I rubbed my face tiredly, "A gentleman would have caught me."

"I don't touch filth."

Anger filled me and I shot up, "What is your problem?"

"I don't have one," he mused back, "Except that you do not belong here."

"Then make me a river of tears!" I snarled, "I am not going anywhere!"

We glared at each other for a moment, before it occurred to me that before the vision, Ebby had been sitting on my head. Fear filled me as my fingers flew to the top of my head where I did not find him. Relief was a sweet thing. He must had de-summoned during my vision. I don't know what Orris would do if he saw my little fae friend but I was sure it would not be good.

"Lose something?" he mused.

My eyes narrowed, "No. Let us train. Stop talking to me. Your breath is like donkey."

"My noble breath smells like donkey? Then image what yours may smell of Raggy."

I followed him out of the library and yet, that cold, bitter sensation followed after me. Something told me that this would not be the last time I'd seen Aurora Aldrich.

Or rather, Aurora Walden the fae hunter. No doubt she'd caused trouble which may be connected to the Neorian crystals. I had to be careful. That was the King's dead wife after all. No matter how terrible she was, I'm sure the king knew none of this.

I sighed.

Such dangerous information.

"Stop mouth breathing," Orris grunted beside me, "Are you a dog?"

My brow twitched, "Shut up, I'm thinking."

"Clearly not something you do often. I can smell your brain burning."

"Shut up I said!"