Forty-Six |

Forty-Six |

    Tradition says that the female royal would do an elemental dance. Through this dance, the royal powers the crystals which casts luck and prosperity across the kingdom. 

    I kept my chin up, moving slowly through the keep. As I stepped out of my room, I was joined by Orris who was dressed well and lavish. He nodded to me, a scowl on his face, and I returned such seriousness. I could feel golden magic throb around me as if the entire kingdom had paused for this moment. As I walked, I could see out of the corner of my eyes the servants that stopped to stare. Servants, guards—everyone had stopped to stare. Nervousness coiled in my stomach like an unkept poisonous snake. I breathed slowly, walking as calm as I could be. Each step was made with purpose, each breath sculpted with serenity. I could do this; I had trained for this--I was prepared. 

When my foot stepped past the keep gates, I paused. How could I not notice this? The entire castle city had been decorated as if overnight for this day. Banners of black and silver, flowers had bloomed on either side of the road as if creating a royal path and every person I laid eyes on were dressed as well as they could be, decorated with gems and flowers. 

Another breath—only one—and I began walking once more. With purpose, and confidence. I walked down the road as those eyes around me watched with anticipation. I kept going, with such a slow pace and such control over my every muscle that my toes ached, and my legs burned. I could almost laugh had I not been so nervous, I'd laugh at how silly all this was. 

Finally, I reached the town square and then I had to pause once to take in the scene. If there was once a road I couldn't see it. For someone had grown a stage of grass and a short wall all around the area of roses—not just any roses but black roses. My eyes widened and I looked to Aldrich and Kahuna who had their own thrones off of the stage. Aldrich smiled at me and Kahuna nodded. 

I smiled. 

There was no doubt at who had grown those roses, nor of the reminder they held. 

I was the daughter of the black rose; I was the former king's child. 

This was my purpose. 

Let everyone see that. 

Magic rose inside me and as it did, I could feel my gown change. Melting away until there was nothing, but chains and jewels adorned my body like armor. It revealed my arms, my legs—it was nothing like I'd seen before. Or perhaps that wasn't the truth--I'd seen this style from the Arianne royals. My teeth dug into my lip.

Lory Braxon had dressed me like a royal and then changed me to look like a warrior.

I took a breath and twisted my arms, moving slowly across the grass. 

It had begun.   

The music started as Kahuna had taught me and every step, she had shown me immediately left my mind. In that moment all I could feel was anger but also a warmer feeling that I couldn't quite place. I was overwhelmed with it—this feeling. It spread through my body with similar heat to magic and I could only think of my cousins who had protected me and supported me throughout everything. I thought of how they defended me in Ipuina, and never once left me to myself. 

Call for me.

Whose voice was that? That sounded in the back of my mind, spoken by magic.

My body began to move across the grass, and I closed my eyes, allowing my actions to speak for themselves and for my magic to flow freely. Such tender memories filled me. How Kahuna had dressed in a gown—threatening her honor for the sake of my life, how Aldrich rather cause a fight with Erik Yarrow and even the queen of Ipuina for the sake of my happiness. I had been so angry at the past and the thought of betrayal that I never once considered the present and their loyalty. 

Why could it not be both? 

Why could my family not be both liars and also the best brother and sister I'd ever had? 

I spun on my heel, magic blooming around me. I could feel the very foundation of Neorian reach for me and react to my calling. Not once did I stop, not once did I open my eyes. I allowed myself to remain blinded so that I may see the truth. 

My fight was for the fae, but it was for my heart as well. 

Call for me. 

Ah, I understood now. 

I would protect my family, in all the forms that it took. 

All the members they were.  

Perhaps I ought to feel silly how long it took me to realize such truth, but I saw it now, and I could not unsee something so kind and pure. I took a breath, allowing air to fill my lungs, then exhaled and when I did, I demanded the very strings of breath that left my parted lips to flow with magic. Every being of my soul would be bared to this land. 

This land I would call a piece of my home. 

The music stopped but I did not. 

I could not. 

Would you suffer for them? 

My magic demanded more; I could feel it. The tickle of something growing through me far beyond even I could stop. It was as if, my magic had rooted into this land and stretched as far as it would allow—this land wished for more. 

Call for me. 

And so, I fed it everything I had. 

I'd feed it my very heart if it demanded such a taste. 

Something rumbled across the ground, and I could feel another magic growing. It was soft and yet so cold I held back a shiver. I could feel it inching through my roots, and I moved my body as if alluring it forward. This magic--I did not fear it. I welcomed the intrusion and it called for me as if finally trusting my soul. 

My eyes opened and I stopped. 

The world was quiet, all eyes to the sky. 

Where the criostalan cridhe had not only glowed a bright and vibrant cerulean but also floated far above the land. I stretched my hand towards the crystals and asked myself what I was to do now? The crystals had the power to not only protect this land but fight for it too, the question was, did they deserve such a power? 

What would you do for them? 

"Ciara," Kahuna whispered in shock from across the stage. 

I breathed out slowly—how had I heard her from so far away? No, I suppose that didn't matter. A smile bloomed on my face, and I nodded to the question that I once asked to be asked. Thinking back, I realized even now, my answer had failed. I said I would fight for them—for the fae—but that was wrong. I would not fight for them nor for anyone. 

I would act for them. 

For all of them—for those whom I had deemed worthy of my heart. Whether that be fae or human or elemental, I would act for all of them, forever. Whether that meant raising a sword, or my words, I would act with their interest in mind and I would protect them. Always. 

Even if it meant from the evils of themselves. 

I could see it clearly. 

Call for me.    

And so, I did. I parted my lips and outstretched my hands towards the sky and then I called for this land's true protector—the face beyond the crystals. 

"Awaken Saphira."