Three |

Three |

I let out a wild shriek, tossing my head back and laughing loudly. The wind played with my hair—and my body. My dress flowing as if my entire body was in a seductive dance, twirling around with the wind. I had my eyes closed and I could feel every inch of the forest around us. My fingers were curled within Phoenix's mane and I trusted her completely. She trusted me—I couldn't explain it but it felt like we were bonded.

The trees around us danced, as if greeting the earth elementals that thundered through their forest. I could hear the other horses: Aldrich and Kahuna on either side of me and the guards behind us. Each on a horse. My muscles flexed, every cell of my body wished to go faster but I couldn't—I didn't know where I was going for starters.

Phoenix let out a noise and sped up. I let out a gasp but my eyes didn't open—I could feel my blood warming, and magic fueled my body—it throbbed around us.

"Wow," one guard gasped.

"The forest! It's growing!"

"Quiet and keep up," Kahuna demanded.

They trusted me too.

I gave everything to Phoenix, and she guided us. Behind us, I could hear the hooves growing distant as Phoenix thundered us forward. My heart sped and my head grew light with excitement. Even though we were riding for hours, all too soon, she began to slow, and I could hear the hooves catch up. I was panting hard as I peeled open my eyes and the sight in front of me was even more impressive than before.

It was an island. A city on the ocean. My eyes widened. The forest broke around the path and at the edge of the land was a bridge. The bridge was made not of stone but of gem—clearer than the ocean under it. On the sides of the bridge was fae candles, and in the distance, in the ocean I could see one of those giant crystals. My jaw dropped.

The city was the castle.

I'd never seen such a beautiful sight before.

"H-how?" I whispered.

Aldrich slowed his horse beside me, "The first was an impressive elemental. She'd discovered how to harness not only her abilities but fae ones too."

I glanced at him, "What...does Neorian think of the fae?"

He hesitated, his eyes darkening, "That is a loaded question cousin. Not for today."

My head jerked into a nod slowly. I understood. Not everything could be perfect. I knew they thought poorly of the fae. Perhaps worse than "poorly" but I held my hopes. I'd have to be careful, and I should warn Oberon to be careful too, this was new territory for me. I knew Ipuina laws and their military force, I didn't know Neorian.

"Come, let's go home," Aldrich sighed.

I nodded, and we moved forward. The sound of Phoenix hooves thundered against the bridge. This time Kahuna and Aldrich took lead, and we slipped past the large castle gates without an issue. My eyes turned to the large buildings around us. Nobles moved around us on the streets, the scent of ocean air tickled my nose as I looked around the very busy city.

"What do you think?" Aldrich called to me.

I smiled, "It's beautiful."

There was no suffering in sight. This was a city of nobles but they seemed polite and modest—as opposed to the nobles of Ipuina. Not to mention the clear connection to the earth element. Phoenix followed after Aldrich and Kahuna without fear. She walked as if she'd always been in this city and I believe she had. My eyes moved across the many stores and manors—I took it all in. This entire city was the castle, but it was also a functioning royal city as well. I could see how each noble and servant played their part and it had something spark within me.