Six |

Six |

The library was impressive—it took up the entire basement of the keep. The lighting dim and the scent of dust and ink tickled my nose. Duke Thistle showed me along the deep shelves, and I noticed only one sitting area. In the middle of the library there was only a single table with four chairs. It was strange, one would expect the library to be more welcoming.

"Is the library not used often?" I asked curiously.

He hummed, "Only the royal family is allowed into the library."

My eyes widened, "Why?"

"Because literature should be protected," he replied leading us back to the main doors, "The more people have contact with the books, the more their quality diminishes, and not to mention the more people borrow the books, the more alter them."

It made sense, but still...

"Who adds to the library then?" I asked casting one last look to the library.

"The fallen Prince did."

I paused, "P-pardon?"

"The library was his collection. Before the castle only had a small archive room."

That meant this collection—all of it belonged to Father. I pressed my hand to my chest and looked at the collection in a new light. I hated books, and yet to see something he held so dear, it made me wish to love it too.

"What would the fallen Prince read?" I whispered.

He blinked at me, "Books."

I narrowed my eyes, "I meant what kind, obviously."

"Only the royals would know," he replied avoiding my gaze.

"And the royal pet," I hissed back, "Why is it a secret?"

"I'm told to tell you all royal secrets and train you," he replied, stopping his pace, "Whom is the true royal pet? I've worked for everything in my life. Have you?"

My eyes narrowed, "I have too."

"Of course," he chuckled, "A peasant girl from Ipuina. What did you work for? The farms? Or perhaps your family owned something even more dreadful, maybe a flower shop?"

A lump formed in my throat, "Enough."

"Have I upset you Raggy princess?" he continued to push, "My, if your nerves are so fragile, perhaps you should go home? Ah, but I suppose you cannot. Your prodigy brother has gone and murdered a King."

I could feel the anger in my veins, my magic beginning to boil and my forehead burning. He knew nothing of my struggles nor of my worth and I would not allow him to disrespect me nor my struggles any longer and yet I struggled to hold back. It was fear—I was afraid I'd kill this man like I'd done to Emmett. Then I'd be no different than Fionn.

"That will be enough," I said with force, "I will not lower myself to your status."

He tilted his head, "Nor rise to my status? You're nothing but traitor blood. Your family is stained with it. It's best you remember that."

My body froze as if Fionn himself had frozen me, "P-pardon?"

"I'm no fool," he replied lowly, stepping towards me, "The fallen prince bore the Raggy princess. He abandoned his land and you've done the same. You're both traitors."

I reacted so quickly there was no time to force my anger back. A snarl tore from my lips as I threw out my hand; my palm heated like fire and between us a beautiful wall of pure crystal formed. A gasp flew from my lips and I took a step back. It was the only thing I could do before my strength left me and my knees gave out. I slapped my palms onto the floor as I panted for air. I'd used all my strength created the crystal wall—I had created a crystal wall. That was something only royal blood could do. A small smile grew onto my face and I realized this only assured me of my father's blood.

I was the daughter of the Black Rose.

I was Jerrik Albion's daughter.

"So it's true then," he called through the wall, "Good. Then you can be trained."

My gaze looked up, "W-what?"

"I've been assigned to train you," he hummed waving his hand, and the wall shattered into a poof of dust, "You cannot control the power for long it seems."

"What?"

It came out a whisper.

He smirked down at me, "I've never failed an order before. Come, we have much to do."

Then he turned and walked away. Leaving me angry and confused. He'd pushed me to get this reaction? But I'd never grown such crystals before. My head ached and yet I knew deep down there was only one choice for me. I had an amazing ability given to me by my father and I would learn how to control it longer than a mere instant. I would learn how to make crystals that could last too. My fists balled and I pushed myself to stand on wobbling legs. Perhaps I was a fool, but like a fool stepping off a cliff—I followed after Duke Thistle.      

AN: longer chapter next week!