Forty Four |

Forty Four |

            He was real. I sobbed, my fingers buried into the front of his black tunic. He was real. He was real. Oberon was real, and he had saved me. He didn't move, just staying crouched as if any slight move could break me. I sobbed for a while, the horrors of what he had saved me from only playing over and over again in my mind.

            "Please, take my robe," he whispered, "Your tunic is ripped."

            I pulled away from him, nodding. He handed me his robe, and I pulled it on, wiping the tears off my face as I did. A sudden dark humor filled me, a giggle bubbling from my lips. Any fear or panic that was in my body now long gone as a strange numbness filled me.

            "You wish for me to cover up?" I laughed harder.

            He didn't move, nor did he speak.

            I laughed harder, until my belly ached, "I-I thought you wished to lay with me. N-Now you wish for me to cover up. You are a strange man. Such a strange man!"

            "You will be alright little one," he whispered.

            My mood darkened and I snapped, "I know that. You think I do not know that?"

            "My apologize," he whispered, bowing and pulling off his mask.

            My eyes could only drink in his expression, the fallen lanterns luminating his face just enough so I could see the dark look on his face. It filled me with guilt, he seemed disturbed by what had happened. It made me guilty for snapping at him, but it also made me angry. How long had he been in the trees?

            "When did you arrive?" I whispered.

            He looked surprised by the question, "Once I heard the s-screams."

            "Why were you in the forest?" 

            He tilted his head, a smirk on his face, "Do you doubt me?"

            "Maybe. Have you been following me?"

            "Of course," he replied without shame, "But not the entire day nor the entire night. I am a busy man, please forgive me for making you wait."

            I sniffled, looking away, "Where were you?"

            "Do you wish to know that answer?"

            "Yes," I replied, wishing for some sort of closure.

Anything to distract me from what had just happened, anything to ground me to him.

"I was in your room in the castle," he replied.

My mood dipped, "D-did you see anything?"

"Yes," he chuckled, "I saw your stalker. The little thing truly has been attached to you."

My eyes lifted to him with confusion, "What do you mean?"

"Watch," he replied, standing and holding out his hand, "You'll see."

Confusion filled me as I took his hand. It was warm, and comforting under my touch. I peered around the forest, my guard rose as I tried to catch my apparent stalker. However, I never saw such a thing, but instead, a deep fungus began to cover the three bodies.

"What?" I gasped, looking back to Oberon, "What is that? I don't have my abilities."

His eyes narrowed, "You do not? Why?"