Forty Eight |

Forty Eight |

After our little dispute, there seemed to be a new understanding between us. She calmed down and so did I and we had a while before we reached the walls of the castle so she began to tell me of Arianne. I didn't understand why she was telling me of her homeland but I appreciated it. It sounded like a lovely place.

"The sand is as far as the eye can see and it has two seasons: the one during the day and the one during the night. The days are as hot as the sun warrior's blade and the nights are as cold as the moon princess' embrace," she hummed, "It matters not, the nights are for mortal contact, drinking and stories. These keep us warm until the sun returns."

I smiled slightly, "I've heard Arianne enjoys their mortal contact."

"Of course," she chuckled, "And why not? Sexuality should not be feared but celebrated. We were given the gift of pleasure by our sun and moon and yet some act as if it was a sin. Oh, you must see our water lilies. We have the best desert springs with the best healing waters."

"That sounds lovely," I murmured.

It sounded better than the castle tubs.

"Oh it is," she giggled, surprising me, "I'd argue it's the best place in the world."

I envied her. To love your home and your lands so much, I wished I could have such a place in my heart. I wish I had only good things to speak of for my land, I wish I could love Ipuina as much as she did. Perhaps maybe, I'd feel like I was doing something or even like I'd belonged. But I didn't, I felt so disconnected to this land.

"Lady Ciara," she said softly.

I blinked out of my daze, "Yes?"

She was silent for a long while and I turned my attention back to the window. I could see the walls now, it'd be mere minutes until we reached the castle grounds. It was a good thing, I could quickly feel the exhaustion that filled my bones and I had a busy day tomorrow. I was confident in my new fae friend's abilities—I had seen it. However, I'm sure it would still be a difficult ordeal in any case.

"Inga."

My eyes slid back to her, "Pardon?"

"I won't repeat it," she snapped, "But that's my name. If you need me, call for it and do not say it unless you need me. Understand?"

I smiled slightly, however cryptic her words were, I think she wanted to be friends.

"My names Ciara, but you can call me Ara."

"I will not."

I nodded, hiding my smile as I looked back out the window.

It didn't take long for us to reach the castle, and when I slid out and turned back to bid my new ally a goodnight, she was already gone. Disappearing down the path towards the stables. I wondered where she'd go and alone at that but didn't ponder on if for too long. Instead, I headed inside and through the busy castle towards Eliza's tower. Exhaustion weighed on my shoulders. It wouldn't be long until I'd have to awake and have my match. I climbed the stone stairs slowly, everyone believed in me and such a trust worried me more. He had so effortlessly beaten Benji. Even if one argued the pairing wasn't fair in terms of elements—it would be the same case except Benji was a royal guard and as of right now, I was element less.

I sighed, reaching the top of the steps before slipping into Eliza's chambers. The area was dark and as I moved to light a few candles, I noticed a figure sitting in one of the tea room chairs. My body tensed, and for a moment I wondered if it was Emmett. But no, I imagined he'd kill me before I entered the door and not after letting me light candles.