Thirty-One |

Thirty-One |

Hours.

We had been twirling and whirling for hours to no avail. My feet tripped and stumbled, I continued to scramble, trying to recreate her elegant moves and the horrid thing was, Kahuna was a good teacher. I was merely a terrible student whom been born with two left feet and the balance of a newborn starfish.

"Hm," she finally said with a frown. "It'll need some work."

I sighed.

At this rate, I'd need a miracle.

"Why are you so pale?" she hummed.

My eyes slid from her to a servant who'd come in with a tray holding two crystal goblets and a large jug of water. Realizing we'd be taking a break now, I moved over to drink deeply from one of the two goblets. The water was cold and refreshing down my dry throat. I wondered briefly what time it was, hours must have passed.

Hours wasted.

"This is hopeless," I sighed heavily.

She frowned. "Why do you say that?"

I gave her a pointed look. If I was a water elemental, she'd be a block of ice.

"You're being dramatic," she chuckled, patting my head. "You've gotten the basics. You just lack some...connection grace. You'll get it. I have utter faith in you."

Another sigh. "Why is the dance so important?"

"Did father not explain our history to you? It is because—"

"No. I understand why we do it. I mean why does it matter?" I grumbled. "The first queen of Neorian has long been dead and it was her dance. Why do we reenact the dance still? What meaning does this tradition hold when the princess of Neorian is not even the one to do it?"

She gave me a gentle smile. "You are a princess of Neorian."

I bit my tongue. She lied. I wasn't--not really. Perhaps it was in my blood but that was it. I was no Neorian princess, I was an Ipuina peasant. Without parents and sibling to a king killer. Even then, I had to question if Fionn was truly my sibling? It made me viciously ill just thinking about the possibility that he wasn't my blood. That our parents died for him and he wasn't even blood.

A headache throbbed behind my eyes.

"Come now," Kahuna spoke softly. "Let us go over each step again. Remember, it isn't the steps that are important, but the intent behind them. The dance is not just about upholding tradition, it's about feeling the earth magic that breathes life into this land. Connect with it."

I sighed. She was right, and so was Oberon. My heart ached slightly. Had I been too cruel to him? I spoke out of anger and frustration--I didn't really want him to leave me. And yet, he'd done so easily and without complaint. That hurt more than our sharp words.

"Ara?"

My eyes slid to her with a new determination, and I nodded. "Let's do it."

We continued until the sun began to set and my body grew sloppy with exhaustion and stiff with pain. I groaned, dragging my feet across the floor as the ballroom doors opened and Aldrich entered. He looked at me with amusement, and I stopped my silly step, my face heating. I had no idea how street performers danced so often.

Clearly this was another thing to add to my list of weaknesses.

"Brother," Kahuna scolded. "You've distracted her."

I looked at him pleading and he smiled brightly.

"Sister, it's almost night. Has she been at it since noon?"

I nodded wildly. Yes. I have.

"And? I have my men training well beyond such a short time."

My eyes bulged. Short time? Kahuna must be a beast! Perhaps a griffin in disguise because I could not fathom how she could continue going without breaks for so long. My knees finally crumpled and with a cry, I fell to the floor. They both stared at me and Kahuna finally sighed.

"Fine. I suppose I was a tad harsh."

A groan fled my lips.

I didn't blame it.

"I shall take her," Aldrich chirped brightly.

Kahuna waved her hand. "Has Lory Braxton arrived?"

My eyes widened. Lory Braxon was here? But why? I had gotten the clothing they'd made more than a week ago—it was all so beautiful and finely made however, I didn't think there was more to be delivered. Not to mention, I didn't realize Lory Braxton made personal deliveries. Although, the wild grin on Aldrich held upon his face filled me with horror. My stomach sank and I realized there must be a worst reason for their arrival.

"Come cousin," he practically sang, "It is time for your gown fitting."

"Gown fitting?" I gasped. "It's almost night!"

"Yes," he frowned slightly, placing his hand on his hip. "This is true. We ought to have some tea and meat first. If you're not full, the measurements could be wrong. Oh! We can go over fabrics while we feast. What an excellent idea."

I was pulled to my feet. "That is not what I meant."

"Is it not?" His eyes gleamed with mischief. "One might think you did not want a new and lavish gown, especially as it'll be the one you'll dance in. But that would be silly. A gown is almost as important as the dance itself."

I paused. Was it really?

"Suppose you were dancing in an ill-fitted gown and tripped. Imagine the horror, the fainting noble woman and crying men. Imagine the children! It would be horrific!"

I paled as he linked his arm in mine.

Kahuna rolled her eyes. "Don't be so dramatic."

"Am I?" he demanded. "A dance has never failed. Could you imagine what happens if it did?"

I couldn't because it had to go perfectly. Maybe no chaos for the dance itself but the repercussions of the dance going poorly could very well be the trigger of war. I could feel my stomach practically dry up the more I thought about it. I imagined Erik's laughing face as he beheaded me, the snide remarks he'd make about the dance and the so-called gown I'd trip over.

"Take me," I said slowly, taking a deep breath. "Take me to Lory Braxon."

Aldrich grinned. "But of course, my lady."

It was time to be fitted for my armor.