NINETEEN |

NINETEEN |

I nodded with a sigh, the fun was over I guessed. 

Aldrich took a sip of his wine, "Let us meet up again tomorrow. My father and I leave in four days. It gives us plenty of time to be aquatinted." 

Oh my. 

"That sounds lovely," I replied with a pleased sigh. 

He placed another kiss to the back of my hand before Erik was carting me away. As he did, a long smile ran along my lips. Perhaps the night wasn't so terrible after all. Prince Aldrich seemed like a very naughty prince indeed. At least he was kind. 

"I do not like him," Erik hummed as we walked through the crowd. 

I giggled, glancing at him, "Why not?"

"He is not fit to be king."

My brow went up and I found myself annoyed, "And why is that?" 

"The politics would be lost on you," he muttered as we reached Fionn. 

Fionn visibly relaxed, "Ara, I was so worried."

"Well now you do not have to," I replied, a pout on my lips. 

He was not my favourite person at the moment. 

Fionn glanced at Erik, "Why is she acting strange?"

"You've been acting strange ever since we reunited," I muttered, rolling my eyes. 

Erik sighed, "She seemed parched, so I offered her a glass of wine without realizing she had never tasted wine before. My apologizes." 

Fionn scowled, "Of course. Anything else go wrong tonight?"

"I met the queen," I piped up, eager to poke at him, "She was lovely."

His eyes shot wide open, "What?"

I smirked, evil sparking through me like fire, "Anything else I can do to disappoint you brother? Or is that all for tonight? Perhaps I ought to find a gentleman alone and--"

His hand moved fast as he yanked me towards him. I let out a yelp as he pulled be back onto the balcony before crushing me into a hug. I squirmed uncomfortably, my eyes locked on Erik for help. To which he avoided my gaze on purpose no doubt. 

"Ara," Fionn whispered in my ear, "This rebellious phase comes from your pained heart. Please stop this destruction and allow me in, allow your worries to be shared with your elder brother like before. Stop this act of defiance." 

I frowned, feeling no sudden emotion attack my body. Simply because this was no act of destruction caused by whatever he believed. Instead, this was a clear act of anger towards a system so corrupt I wished to light it on fire. I had long dreamed of the day Fionn would come for me and whisk me away to the life of luxury, and now that I had that life I realized how much of an illusion it was. 

"There, there," I muttered, patting his back. 

He leaned away from me with a frown, "I think you're supposed to burst into tears and allow me to consult you. Should we not share a long overdue moment of joy and grief?"

"I believe, I would like some more wine," I replied cheerily. 

"No." 

They both spoke at the same time and I giggled. Silly boys. 

"Ciara?" We all turned as Eliza stepped onto the balcony, "Gods it is cold out here. Come with me Ciara, we will go and dance. No boys allowed." 

I smiled at that, "Of course."

So we did, dancing the night away. 

The next time I awoke, was in my bed. The night long over, and the morning now arisen. I sat up with a smile on my face. Despite how terribly the ball had gone, it had also gone so wonderfully as well. My cheeks heated thinking of Prince Aldrich. I had no attraction towards the man other than the craving of friendship.