Forty- Two |

Forty-Two |

    It occurred to me that I hadn't really wandered the castle city in all it's glory. I certainly never visited any of the shops, nor did I pay any attention to the civilization beyond the main road which led from the royal keep to the bridge. Kahuna had joined us, as well as Orris and two guards which turned out to be a wonderful thing, as Orris and the guards became the mules to the many things the royals bought. I almost felt bad, until I caught the eye of the man who glared openly. 

Humorous how my guilt melted away. 

"We should look at the tailors," Aldrich chipped. 

My heart melted. We'd already visited a blacksmith and bought a pair of small daggers, two different butchers to buy dried meats, a potter to buy a small and portable water jar made of clay, an embroiderer (because Aldrich insisted, I carry at least four handkerchiefs with the Albion crest upon it), a hunts man to obtain a fur pelt I could use as a blanket, and finally, a saddle bag for Phoenix. They'd been kind and generous with their wealth in helping me prepare for the long journey I had set for myself.   

"Actually," I murmured softly. "I've ordered some attire from Lory."  

He gasped dramatically. "And you mentioned this only now? You must give us a show."

My face heated. "A show?"

Kahuna elbowed him. "Pay him no mind. Lory Braxton holds a show each season for the nobles and royals to view the current 'in fashion' style. He seems for forget this is not a common practice and Lory Braxton is in a league of their own. And that noble women do not put on shows for men—that's preposterous." 

Ah, I see. 

"But still," Aldrich gushed, rubbing his stomach. "I wish to see—"

"Raggy princess, shouldn't you be more worried about how expensive Braxton's works are?" Orris grumbled. "She'll be ruining the Albion fortune." 

I snorted. "Are you saying the Albion name cannot afford it?" 

We simply glared at each other. 

"Now, now," Kahuna sighed. "Enough of that." 

I turned my chin up. "Huna is right. I shouldn't be arguing with those below my status. That is the attitude of a royal, is it not? I should start acting the part before I head to Arianne."

"Wouldn't that be the first," Orris sneered. 

I smiled bitterly. "Better late than never, yes?" 

"You two are too much," Kahuna groaned. "What time is it?"

"Just past midday General," one guard piped. 

She nodded. "Aldrich, we should—"

"Yes," he sighed before turning to me. "It looks like we should wrap up here. Huna and myself must prepare for tomorrow. I'll have the guards put your items away and I'll leave Orris to your disposable if you wish to linger." 

I bit back sharp words. "Alright. I think I'll visit Phoenix."

He nodded. "That works well. Orris, take the saddle to the stable." 

"Yes, your highness," Orris muttered. 

A snicker left my lips. Served him right. 

"Is it too heavy?" I mocked as he readjusted the saddle in his hands. 

He glared at me. "No. Might I readjust without judgement you raggy thing."

"Of course not," I chirped.