EIGHT |

EIGHT |

The two left, and Loli remained. It took me a moment to recall that she was now my lady-in-waiting and I had no idea what to do with her. It felt strange to have a woman of higher ranking now tending to my needs. And yet, I had to remind myself that I should be happy. I was a noble due to my brother, anyone in my place ought to be overjoyed. 

"My lady, shall I draw you a bath?" Loli asked. 

I looked back to her, "N-No. No thank you Loli." 

She nodded, a frown on her face, "Shall I pour you more tea?" 

I eyed the pot of mugwort, "Do you know what mugwort does?"

"Oh yes," she brightened, "Would you like to hear about it?"

I nodded, sitting back down, "Please. And can you sit with me?"

"No I cannot," she blushed, "I cannot sit at a table with a noble. But I will sit on the floor if you allow me to rest my legs," I nodded, urging her to do so, "Mugwort is a herb often grown by the earth elementals at the castle. However, it is popular among the nobles for its vision abilities and the way it makes the mind foggy. Noble woman especially enjoy mugwort and kratrom. Although kratrom is banned in the city of royals." 

"Kratrom?" I asked, never hearing of it. 

She nodded, "Yes my lady. It makes the user feel utter bliss, tainting the mind with happiness and robbing the body of the ability to feel pain." 

I shivered, it sounded dangerous, "Are you an earth elemental?" 

"No my lady," she giggled, "My mother was. She served the castle for years until her death four years ago. As thanks for her services, the king allowed me to become a maid and then Lady Eliza took fondly of me and I became her second lady-in-waiting." 

"Rosa was the first then?" I asked surprised.

There was no obedience in Rosa and so that surprised me. I'd expect Loli to be the one who was more outspoken. Not to mention Loli was only a girl, no older than fourteen years of age if I had to guess. I knew no fourteen year old who was good at being quiet. 

"Yes," Loli nodded again, "She has been serving the princess since the princess' fifth birthday. Oh my, Rosa must had been seven at that time. She was a gift from the queen." 

My brows rose but I said nothing, it was the bitter truth that slave trade was still a prominent thing in the land of Ipuinia. When rumor got out that the king wished to ban such trade, there was outrage from the nobles and so he released a decree stating that it would not be banned but the laws around it would become more fair to the slaves. 

"I see," I said softly, now understanding Rosa's loose tongue, "She has been with the princess for a long while then. Are they friends?" 

Loli smiled knowingly, "We cannot befriend those above our rank." 

"Of course," my eyes rolled, I wasn't sure why I asked the silly question. 

The two of us grew silent as I sipped at my lemon tea before finishing it. As I did, my eyes danced across the room and towards the window where the sun was already setting. I chewed at my bottom lip as I watched it for a while, tiredness seeping into my bones. 

I yawned softly, my eyes drooping. 

"Shall I prepare your bed my lady?" Loli perked up from her spot on the floor. 

A frown tugged onto my lips, "I wish to wait for my brother." 

She looked like she wished to say something but kept her lips closed. I watched her for a moment with confusion before sighing deeply, and remembering my stupid status, and gesturing for her to speak. She licked her lips carefully.