Forty-One |

Forty-One | 

    Dinner seemed a tad fancy—even for royals. There was a large feast prepared: a pile of roasted fish caught in the ocean just outside of Rosluchait, large buns and sweet pastries, a tray of warm acorn salad, turnips boiled with deer fat, and a baked quail. My stomach growled as I stared at the food absolutely astonished. 

"Dig in," Edric said warmly. 

I glanced at him; my guard had risen. It was all so suspicious. He'd dressed in a colourful and expensive tunic, a black cape adorned with the Neorian crest and even wore his crown upon his head—it was as if he'd come here for a political affair. Aldrich and Kahuna were dressed similarly, both in their royal capes and expensive attire. 

"I fear I'm underdressed," I murmured, watching as Kahuna piled food onto her plate. "Should I go change into something—"

"Nonsense!" Edric boomed, making me jolt. "Eat. Relax." 

I hummed, carefully pulling some fish, bread and turnips onto my plate. 

"Pour my cousin some wine," Aldrich ordered the nearest servant. 

My cheeks burned. "No that's fine—"

She'd already scrambled to obey his order and I sighed, putting my fork down. What was going on? There seemed to be a shift. As if they were showing me more of their political side as opposed to the warm, family ties I'd been used to. Although perhaps the change was necessary. I'd gotten used to their flexible kindness after all, and I'd find no other royals with such qualities.

"Thank you," I muttered. 

The servant gave me a smile before hurrying off. 

I glanced at the crimson alcohol carefully. 

"Are you warm enough?" Edric asked, leaning forward. "Shall I get them to throw some more logs into the hearth? We recently obtained some golden wood from Sophocles; it burns wonderfully and has a lovely scent."  

"No, I'm alright."

"Is the food to your liking?" Aldrich asked. "We can—"

"The food is fine." My words were quick as my mind circled. "Thank you."

Silence fell over us, and I shifted in my seat uncomfortably. 

What in the world was going on?

"I told you this was all too much," Kahuna grunted, pulling the leg off the quail. "Ara, they are trying to impress you. The men fear they've shown you their ugly side, and so, they wish to remake your view of them." 

Impress me? 

I almost laughed. "Why would you wish to impress me?"

Aldrich looked down, a pout on his lips. "Is it so wrong to wish to make amends?"

"Amends?" Now, I could not help but laugh. "Must we go over this again?" 

"Have you forgiven us?" Aldrich asked. 

My shoulders sagged. "There's nothing to forgive."

"Then our amends must be made."

A tired groan left my lips. "I'd rather just move on from this. Truly."

"Ciara," Edric spoke lowly, his elbows on the table as he stared at me. I straightened my back, my eyes locked on him. "You'll leave the day of the dance, is that correct?"

I nodded. "The sooner, the better. I'll leave as soon as it's over."

Aldrich protested. "That's---"