Twenty-One |

Twenty-One |

A few days passed and I could not help but notice that the royal blood line had been avoiding me. So was Orris Thistle whom I could not test my new perspective of power on. It was annoying, and I was forced to spend the days aimlessly wandering the keep or spending the day with Phoenix. Today she walked beside me without her saddle or reins and she followed behind me. However, when we reached the bridge, the guard just shook his head.

"Forgive me Lady Roisin," he muttered dropping his gaze, "I'm not allowed to let you leave. We don't know if Ipuina has any more troops around."

I sighed but accepted his words.

We wandered back to the keep and I fetched her an apple from the kitchen. Balancing it on my palm she ate it like the polite gal that she was. As we walked I considered all the past events. I wasn't sure where they put Bram but I still wished to talk to him—I'd wish to talk to anyone at this moment. It was hard to not think I was being left in the dark.

I wandered back to the stable with Phoenix before giving a little wave to the stable boy. His name was Mica Wisu and he was about ten with bright eyes and these cute curls. He wore relatively nice clothing for a stable boy and he was as cheerful as the sun itself. A positive kid that seemed like he had a good head on his shoulders too.

"Welcome back Miss!" he greeted before staring at Phoenix, "Wow, she walks so nicely for you! Most of the time she won't let anyone into her stall. She's a stubborn one!"

"Who normally cares for her?" I asked with concern.

She left my side to move towards her stall.

"Oh, I do! Or Acyrella. She seems to only allow kids near her."

Acyrella was his sister from what I remembered. His younger sister of six cycles. I chatted with him some more and found out that him and his sister both lived at the orphanage down the road. A pang hit my heart. It was terrible to be orphaned so young but to be allowed shelter and work in the royal city sounded good for them. I thanked him for caring for Phoenix before leaving back towards the Keep—this time alone.

As I walked, I could feel a magic warm through my body and into my forehead. My eyes flickered around me. The street was busy with nobles but none seemed to notice me. The laughter and chatting around me grew louder until my ears burned and I found my mood sour. My head hurt, there was too many people around. The sun was making me nauseous, and I could feel the fabrics of my clothing sticking terribly to my skin.

Ducking into a shadowed ally way, I leaned against the wall. My breath was labored, and I pressed my hand under the dip of my shirt to allow some sort of air flow under the fabric. A breeze tickled my nose and before I glanced to my side, I knew my beautiful fae had arrived.

"You do not look well little one," he murmured.

I glanced at him with a small smile, "It is the heat."

"Is that so?"

He looked concerned which made me giggle. Shouldn't I be the one concerned that he's so out in the open? Especially after he disappeared so quickly to avoid Aldrich the other day. I moved my palm to touch his face. It almost didn't seem real and yet, here he was.

"Why have you been helping me?" I asked softly.

"Why should I not?" he mused with a grin, "You will be our saviour."

"And if I wasn't, would you still be here?"

His eyes glowed, "If you weren't, you wouldn't be here."