Forty Three |

Forty Three |

It was no surprise when Ayden won. She was amazing, the way she danced across the arena, it was like I was watching an experienced street dancer only she was lethal and danced among flames. The water elemental stood no chance, any water that neared Ayden was instantly turned to mist. No doubt with such skills Queen Yarrow would be sending Ayden an invite to join the royal elemental guard. Afterwards, I slipped from the viewing area and outside to await her leave. I felt a burning fear and horrible guilt fill me, I wished nothing more than to consult her of everything, including the accident of Loli. However as she came into view, her attention turned elsewhere.

"Aydena!"

I turned, following the deep man's call. He was an older man wearing the Balsick crest that had previously been owned by Henry Balsick. My heart sunk as I realized this man must be Ayden's uncle, returned to take over the Balsick estate, including Ayden's affairs. My feet backed away slowly, and I felt the tears which had collected in my eyes begin to fall, and the overwhelming loneliness filled my chest. I truly was alone, the distance between Fionn and I could never be healed, and any friend I began to make either had different plants wished to betray me or could not stay with me for long.

"I must get away," I whispered to myself.

Aldrich's voice sounded behind me, "Ara?"

I looked at him, my heart broken. I know I looked horrid, I'm sure my sobbing eyes and fearful look concerned him greatly but I could not be around anyone. Instead, I turned on my heels and ran. I could not even run to my own room as I'm sure Loli's body would lay there and it would only be a matter of time before it was found. The Queen would have a bounty out for me, for the murder of Loli. My sobbing got worse, and I found myself at the stables.

"Lady Roisin?" The stable boy questioned.

I wiped my face, "P-pardon me, I wish to go for a ride."

"I'll have to check with Lord Roisin," he said slowly, taking in my dishevelled form, "My lady are you alright? Shall I summon the guards?"

"No," I snapped, straightening my back, "I do not need my brother's permission to go for a ride. Phoenix, I will be riding Phoenix. The horse Prince Aldrich has brought."

"You'll need his permission," he began, looking sympathetic, "I cannot—"

My panic crackled around me and my hand came outwards hard. My palm slapped him hard—hard enough that he stumbled back a few steps before looking at me with wide eyes. I recognized his look and it made me loathe myself. It was of fear, and hate. I was no better than the nobles that disgusted me.

"I have his permission and if you delay me any longer I will promise that you will be banished from this place if not dead. Please, continue to delay me if you dare."

He swallowed harshly, "N-no, I won't. I apologize my lady."

I nodded, stepping around him, my tears continuing to fall as soon as I had passed him. My hands shook as I faced Phoenix but instantly, as my hand lay on her snout, I calmed ever so slightly. I sniffled, running my hand down her mane then over her bare back. I didn't think of saddling her, I did not know how and the stable boy was already gone. No doubt to summon the guards to fetch Aldrich and inform him that his horse was gone. Instead, I breathed slowly, pushing my feet into the ground and attempting to jump onto her back. As if she knew, she bent her front legs before kneeling slightly. Surprise filled me as she allowed me onto her back.