Eighteen |

Eighteen |

            "Where do you think you're going?" Orris followed after me.

            I frowned, "Leaving the room. Do your eyes not work?"

            "You've grown a pair of horse balls then?" he snickered, "Fancy some training?"

            "Will you take me back to that death pond?"

            "No," he replied with a slow grin, "How about a one on one? You seem to be in desperate need of humbling."

            "Very well."

            It took us no time to return to the training grounds. I was as desperate as him, I suppose. I wished to take his words and shove them down his throat not with Ebby's power nor with the power of my words but the power of my strength. The scent of dirt tickled my nose as we moved to stand in front of each other and a brief flash of fear filled me.

            Could I really do this?

            Orris Thistle was a powerful man and I could see the feral energy behind his eyes. Was he angry that I spoke on Bram's behalf? No; that was not it. It seemed like he was angry for something else. But I could not figure out such anger.

            I asked, "Are you read—"

            He cut me off by throwing up his hands. The ground quaked and I lost my footing slightly. Quickly recovering, I moved towards him, magic flaring around us. I called to it and it responded. Vines burst through the ground and towards him but before they could reach him, they transformed into petals. It was amazing to watch. He could really transform earth into a new form. As I reached him, he lifted his hand to strike. I dodged before realizing it had been a trick. His foot came up, catching my leg. I stumbled back but did not fall. Instead, I put some distance between us.

"Tell me something," he purred, cracking his knuckles, "Does that always work?"

I paused, thrown off by his words, "What do you mean?"

"Your way with words," he hissed, "Somehow you always get what you want as soon as you speak, without any regard for how things are and should be."

My eyes narrowed; I didn't understand what he was getting at. Instead, I allowed my magic to act again, this time when I rose vines from the ground, I was ready for his counter. I ran forward, sprinting hard enough to burn my legs. As soon as the petals formed, I jumped through them. Surprise crossed his face. He crouched slightly, his hands grasping my shoulder while the other grasped my hip and he flipped me! I let out a cry as I sailed over his shoulder, my back slamming into the ground, pain quaking through me. I let out a small moan sitting up as he stood with a smirk, a blade had formed in his hand and he pointed it at my throat.

Damn it all. 

"Alright," I sighed in defeat, "I feel humbled."

He laughed at that, the sword turned into a fury of petals.

I blew one out of my face. 

"P-pardon the intrusion," a small voice squeaked.

We looked towards a guard who'd appeared in the doorway, "General Kahuna has sent for you Duke Thistle."

He nodded, giving me a wave, "Until next time Raggy Princess."   

I glared at him as the two left. Exhaustion filled me and I laid back in the dirt. It seemed my life was no easier in Neorian. However, I was no fool and I knew they were very different. I was honored in these lands, and I had nothing to fear.

So why did I feel so...lost?

A breeze passed over me and I knew he was here before I opened my eyes. A smile formed on my lips as I looked up at the beautiful fae with his soft black locks, those bright gold eyes and those wonderful horns. He stared down at me for a moment before sitting beside me. I shifted my body to lay my head on his lap, his hands toyed with my locks.

"Are you upset?" he asked.

"Yes," I sighed, "But not at you. I understand you have secrets."

He was quiet.

"I met my dad."

"Did you?" he murmured.

A smile formed on my face, "I did. He's a wonderful person. I wish to be as strong as he was one did, and I hope I can make his dreams come truth."

Suddenly, he shifted us. I let out a small gasp, my back pressed against the dirt and his knees were on either side of me. His face pressed against my neck. I could feel my heart pounding tenderly against my ribs and I found myself holding my breath. When he didn't move, I placed my hand on his head, burying my fingers in his soft locks.

It was so strange...I felt completely comfortable with him.

"I don't know how I'm supposed to be strong," I whispered honestly to him, "When I can't even control my powers let alone those grue crystals. I don't even know if I want to control them!"

He nuzzled my neck, "Are you asking a question."

I grabbed his horns, pushing his head away slightly to stare at him, "Do you have an answer for me? Another secret I have to specifically ask for?"

A deep blush crossed his nose and his eyes darkened, "Ah, Darling, please be careful what you grab."

My eyes narrowed, "Then stop avoiding the question."

His lips parted slightly, and he watched me carefully, "S-shall I train you?"

I let go, and as soon as I did he flew off of me. Guilt filled me as I watched him pace slowly back and forth while rubbing his face like a nervous man. It was almost humorous, he looked more human and less fae here. I pushed myself up slowly, rocking back and forth on my heels. His words replayed in my head and excitement filled me.

"How?" I asked.

He looked at me slowly, "A moment little one."

It occurred to me that maybe I harmed his horns and frowned.

"Are you alright?"

"Yes."

"Did I hurt you?" I pressed.

He shook his head, "Worry not I am fine."

"You don't look fine."

"My horns are sensitive Darling," he chuckled.

Guilt filled me, "I'm sorry."

"Do not be," he hummed, his eyes glowing a bright gold, "You may do what you wish with me including my horns. However, I'd rather you touch them when we play."

It did occur to me that by sensitive he meant the particular way that I too was sensitive near him. My eyes widened and cheeks heated, and I felt my core grow quite warm. I looked away from him quickly, struggling to control myself.

"You said you'd train me?" I asked.

He nodded holding out a finger, "There is only one thing to teach you in order to control your abilities little one. Just one simple thing that could change your life forever."

I nodded with excitement, "And?"

He smirked, "You must believe in yourself!"

My eyes narrowed, of course that's what he'd say.