Thirty-Three |

Thirty-Three |

He led me without talk. Walking stiffly as if my order bothered him. It was strange, this reaction but I wasn't in a place to question him. So instead, I followed behind as we moved like water flowing quickly through the halls. It was cold tonight, far colder than any of my time thus far in the land of Neorian. However, there is also something in the air. I can sense a cool magic throbbing through the castle as if calling to me. Every step I take, the closer to the magic I get. We pass wall scones, and as we do, their lights turn a bright and vibrant blue. Orris gives me no time to ponder such a thing, because he does not slow nor stop. As if all of this is normal.

Or something is terribly wrong.

We reach the dungeon's quickly at this pace but when we arrive there is not a single guard posted. The magic is louder now, so loud that it leaves an ache in my ears with it's throbbing. I take a slow breath, looking at the walls which seem to glow with an eerie blue.

"Orris—"

He stops so suddenly, my face slams into his back. I let out a noise, rubbing the tender spot on my nose before he turns slowly, blinking rapidly as if coming out of some sorts. His eyes flicker around us before he looks down at me.

"What is wrong with you?" I hiss, stepping away from him.

"Me? Wha—how did I get here?" he breathed slowly.

My eyes rolled. "If you mean to jest so I walk away, it won't work."

"Walk away? What on earth are you talking about?"

I gestured to the dungeon. "If you're not going to be a gentleman and open the doors for me then I suppose I shall do it myself. You should go, perhaps report to my uncle that there are no guards here. Although, that does favor my goal."

The magic in the air around us thickened.

His fingers dug into my wrist. "Stop. Something isn't right."

My eyes lifted to stare at him. "Let me go."

Something wasn't right indeed. His breath hitched and I could see the sudden panic on his face as those brown orbs flickered around as if trying to see something unseen. I pulled my arm away, that blue hue of magic swirling around us.

Could it be that he could sense it but not see it?

"Orris," I murmured. "Can you sense magic?"

He nodded, his fingers itching to the sword on his hip. "Get back. Something is—"

"—Wrong?"

I turned on my heels, coming face to face with none other than uncle, except he was younger. Immediately I knew I had slipped back into the past yet again, only this time the magic around me had been so strong I hadn't felt my own magic react. My fingers pressed lightly to my forehead, sure enough, there was the faintest throb of the intrusive circlet.

"What's wrong?" Father's voice sounded behind me. "You dare ask me that?"

I spun as he stormed past me and towards Uncle Edric.

"Aurora is with child—a male child. What would you have me do?"

Confusion filled me, what were they arguing about? I looked between them carefully. Upon father's finger was a ring, which meant this must have been near the time that father left but that was impossible. Unless Aurora had not carried to term, or that they had a secret child.

Father scoffed. "Women have led for a long time. It's not unheard of."

"A woman cannot be King!" Edric snarled before calming. "Kahuna is not a leader."

I pressed my hand to my mouth, shock filled me.

"You would rather live a lie? Have your children live a lie?" Father sighed. "What will you tell Kahuna? That she cannot become the crown princess because she is a woman? That she will have a brother soon, and that brother must be seen as her eldest. That she will never be good enough simply because she is a woman? That's the future you wish for her?"

"You do not understand," Edric whispered.

Father smiled bitterly. "I do not. What I do understand is that you and Aurora decided to get wrapped up in an affair the night of your twelfth birthday which lead to the birth of a daughter. I understand you made a poor decision that lead to the creation of a person. That our parents supported you, they chose her family over our alliance with the fae and because of it they are now dead. How long will you allow yourself to be at that woman's whims?"

"That isn't fair," Edric moaned. "She believes I am King!"

"But you're not King!" Father roared. "You are a coward."

This...this was impossible. And yet, I could not argue against what I was seeing—it was the past and it was the reality. Suddenly everything was becoming so clear. Why father despised Aurora and more importantly why he left.

Edric took a step back, tears running down his face. "I am not the coward. There is not a single soul in this land that knows the truth except you, myself and those horrid fae. Perhaps it is a truth that should have followed with our parents."

Father grinned. "Are you threatening me?"

The air shifted. It was heavy and thick. I looked between them. This was it—this was the reason father left. The reason why my entire childhood was robbed from me and why I had lost my parents. I could laugh if it wasn't all so terrible. Instead, tears blurred my vision, and I forced myself to look away.

Edric sobbed, reaching out towards him. "Brother, please—"

"Caterina is pregnant. I will not have my daughter living in fear of your wife," Father said softly. "I will not have my daughter thinking she is anything less than what she is. I hope you will agree the same for Kahuna before it holds lasting effects on her. Keep your secrets and keep your peace, you've chosen your side."

"Brother—"

Father turned his back to him, but I could see his face only half hidden in the shadows. I could see the acceptance and the pain on his face when he began to walk away. It devoured my heart and hatred flared through me.

"Farewell Edric Albion."

The memory faded andwhen I awoke back in my own time, I realized there was never going to be aplace for me here. Family or not, my blood was too far tainted.