SEVENTEEN |

SEVENTEEN |

Keep your back straight, and your eyes forward. Don't look at anyone in particular, lest any of these men think they can court you, and walk slowly to the balcony. Don't walk with intent, instead walk with curiosity." 

My mind whirled, "Wait w-what?"

"And smile," he replied, as the doors opened. 

My eyes grew wide, and I attempted (out of a pure unlocked fear of crowds) to smile and look like an image of grace and beauty, and yet I fear I may have looked like a deer that had run through a rose garden and now stood covered in flowers and pain. My arm clutched his so tightly that I was surprised he didn't shake me off. And yet, he led us forward, towards the grand staircase which led us towards the floor full of nobles, and royals alike and the group of musicians that was set up in the corner of the room. For a moment I paused, my eyes flickering over the crowd. Everyone was dressed by their best and expensive fabrics that singularly could buy my origin village a hundred times over, hairstyles that must had taken days if not weeks to come up with. Each person having their own reasons for dressing like the wild peacocks that loitered around the room. 

Ah yes, and there was real wild peacocks that loitered around the room. 

"Steady now," Fionn whispered lightly in my ear.

I nodded, feeling pale and very much overwhelmed. But I kept my head high, and my back tensed as he slowly led me down the staircase, and into the crowd. The whispers around us were loud and yet I couldn't make out a single strand of words. I felt lightheaded, and thankfully, the walk in hundreds of eyes was short as Fionn led me to a beautiful stone archway that lead outside. I recognized the style from my history books. I believe it was called Corinthian. This style came from Nea Korinthos, an architect from the land of Sophocles. When I asked about Sophocles, all the instructor told me was they had the best minds when it came to theories on the elemental abilities, building designs, and so forth. However, my instructor seemed to dislike Sophocles, calling the people there "distasteful" and "much too comfortable" but I didn't understand what that meant. 

"Ciara," Fionn hissed in my ear. 

I looked over at him, "What is it?"

"The royal family is about to be announced," he replied quickly, "Stand in the balcony door way and do not move. Once Erik enters, I will have to go greet him but then I will be back as soon as possible." 

My eyes widened, "You said you'd stay with me."

"And I will," he replied, "After I do my duty with the prince."

I pulled my arm out of his, "Fine."

"Ciara..." he sighed but I did not want to hear it. 

I turned away, "Go. I will be on the balcony. Leave me now."

So he did, and so I did too. Turning my back on the stupid ball and stepping out into the balcony. No one noticed, all much to busy gawking at the royal family to pay me any attention. That was fine, the anger under my skin itching yet again as I stepped out onto the balcony. For a moment however, my anger was forgotten. My attention past the railing of the balcony and towards the beautiful garden maze. I had not noticed before but there was a certain glow among the maze—night phlox and in full bloom under the moon. 

"It's quite a view," a male voice from behind me said. 

I turned, relaxing when Benji came into view. He looked handsome, dressed in a pair of black breeches and a light pear colour with black vines stitched to the jacket. I smiled at him, moving slightly to lean against the railing as I faced him.