Chapter 12

Backstage was really fun. We all just mostly hung out.

A lot of selfies were taken.

They were all practising they’re songs for tonight.

I watched as the boys all got their makeup and hair done. I watched them as they scrunched up their faces in disgust as they were caked in make-up.

Will picked up some eyeliner.

‘Why is there a pencil in here? Hey Trent, pass me some paper.’ Before Trent could pass it to Will, the make-up artist had snatched the eyeliner out of Will’s hands. Sammy and I started laughing

‘That’s eyeliner idiot,’ Sam laughed.

Next were the outfits. All the boys went into their change room and the girls went into theirs. I was left there by myself.

I decided to have a nice chat with the make-up artist.

‘You’re Maddy right? I’ve heard so much about you. It’s great to finally meet you.’

‘Sorry I didn’t catch your name.’ Awkward moment.

‘I’m Jill,’ she smiled.

‘Nice to meet you Jill. Your job must be hard, trying to get all those boys to get make-up on.’ Jill laughed and nodded.

‘Yeah, but then it’s fun doing the girls.’

‘That’s true, it must just feel like you’re at a sleep over sometimes.’

Just then Julian and the rest of the boys came out. They were dressed in casual clothes.

‘We’re going to be first on, so we gotta go soon. You can come side stage if you promise not to talk.’

‘I promise,’ I said looking up to him, smiling.

‘My mum and Nonna prefer to sit in the audience because they feel it has a better energy about it, but don’t worry, side stage is amazing. I stand there and watch Bella sometimes,’ he said smiling at Bella.

‘Do they come backstage afterwards?’

‘Unfortunately they can’t tonight. You’ll have to meet them some other time.’

That was fine by me.

‘Alright, we gotta go now, the show’s about to start, come on.’ He took my hand and led me out of the room and into a long hallway.

There were lots of doors into different change rooms and such. I could tell Julian and the rest of the boys were nervous.

They were all shaking and quiet. They’re never quiet!

We arrived in a dark, black room. All of a sudden lights came on on the stage and the show started.

Luke walked on to the stage. He welcomed the audience and the judges as they walked to their seats.  

‘Up first we have The Collective singing Swim Good by Frank Ocean,’ Ronan welcomed.

The lights went dim and the boys walked on stage, into their positions. As the lights came on and the band started, they each grabbed their microphones and started singing.

Will started off with a solo. I was standing in left the wing and just watched them as my jaw dropped.

Julian had told me last night through texting that he had a big solo.

I could tell that he was nervous. Anyone would be, but I knew he would be amazing.

As they kept on singing along with the music, the crowd went crazy.