Chapter 21

I stared up at my window. It was now almost 11pm.

‘How am I going to get up there?’ I whispered.

‘Is there a ladder or something you could use in your garage out the back?’

‘You little genius!’ I ran to the garage and fumbled around inside, looking for the light switch.

I finally found it. I slowly turned it on, hoping my mum wouldn’t pop out somewhere to scare me.

I waited for a while after the light came on, not realising I was holding my breath until I let go off it, relaxing my shoulders once I realised mum was in bed and the light hadn't woken her up.

I looked around for a ladder and spotted it leaning on a shelf. I grabbed it and switched off the light and ran back out to Julian.

‘I don’t know how these work, so you’re gonna have to take over here,’ I laughed.

‘Haha, alright pass it here.’

He unfolded it and moved some latchet or something and then did this thing and after more fumbling around with it, he had it tall enough to reach my window.

‘I guess this is goodnight.’ He leaned in for a kiss but I pulled back.

‘Come up with me,’ I pleaded, ‘you can slip out before my mum finds out.’

‘I don’t know.’ I gave him a puppy dog face and made wimping noises and fluttered my eyelashes.

‘Oh alright,’ he smiled. I gave him a big hug.

‘Thank you!’

‘Yeah, yeah. Now just get up there, before we wake your mum up.’

I had to admit, I was a bit scared to walk up the ladder. It didn’t look very safe, but I wasn’t going to let Julian know, I didn’t want to hurt his feelings.

So I swallowed my fear and clasped my eyes shut as I took the first few steps up.

At about the 5th step, I realised it wasn’t that bad. I opened my eyes and realised that I was almost at the top.

‘Stop looking at my arse,’ I called down to Julian quietly, not even having to look to know that he would have been.

‘Wouldn’t dream of it,’ he laughed back.

‘Oh I'm sure,' I scoffed. I reached the top and climbed in the window. My room was just how I left it, except the sun wasn't shining in, giving the room light. 

I looked back out the window where Julian was waiting for my signal to come back up. I waved a hand at him telling him to come up.

I walked over to my door, stepping on some clothes that I had forgotten to pick up earlier, and turned the light switch on. I turned the knob for the light, dimming it a bit, in case my mum decided to go to the toilet and noticed the light underneath the door.

I looked around, everything seemed just the way it was before I left, except there was a card that had been slipped underneath the door.

I picked it up off the floor and opened it.

Maddy, 

             I know you're probably angry at me for not

listening to your side of the story before grounding

you, and that's probably why you're not talking

to me. I know you won't listen to anything I have

to say, and I don't expect you to, because I didn't

listen to you, but hopefully read what I have

written.

I know you're growing and want to go

exploring and become independent, but you still

need to tell me where you are. The fact that you

ditched school isn't the whole reason you are

grounded (although that is a major part of it),

I'm disappointed that you didn't tell me before

or after you did. I was horrified that I had to

learn about your little disappearance from the

school. Remember when we use to tell each other

everything?

Anyway, I don't want to go into to much detail

about it. Hopefully after reading this, you will

be able to talk to me tomorrow morning.

                      Love Mum 

                          xoxo

P.S there's dinner in the fridge.

Great, now she wants to talk about it in the morning. I sighed heavily before throwing it on my desk.

'What was that about?' I quickly spun around to see Julian standing by the window. I totally forgot about him climbing in the window, I didn't realise he was in the room.

'Just my mum talking about why she grounded me and blah blah blah,' I shrugged. I slide my top over my head and chucked it on my dirty washing basket before opening my top drawer and pulling out a singlet. I slid it on before replacing my skirt with a comfie pair of trackies.

'I'll be two seconds,' I whispered to Julian before slipping out my door and into the hallway. I slowly crept to the bathroom. I grabbed my towel off of the hook and dried my hair as much as possible. I brushed my teeth and washed my face quicker than normal. thinking of Julian waiting in my room for me.

 When I got back into my room Julian was laying in my bed waiting for me. I turned off the light and walked over to the bed, the moonlight coming in from the window leading the way. I pulled back the doona and hoped in next to him.  

‘Thank you,’ I whispered, as I cuddled up with him.

‘What for?’ I closed my eyes and leaned my forehead on his.

‘For the best day ever.’

He smiled his usual perfect smile.

‘I love you.’ Those three words. They meant everything to me. They were my world... He was my world.