chapter 22

I woke up to my mum knocking on the door.

'Maddy time to wake up! I know you're not at school for the next three days, but that doesn't mean that you get to sleep in.'

'I'm getting up! Don't come in! I'm about to get changed!' I yelled out in my morning husky voice.

Julian and I panicked. There was no way for him to get out. It was too bright outside, mum would see him leave. I ran around the room, looking for a place for him to hide.

I silently pointed to my cupboard. Luckily it was a built in one and semi walk in.

Julian pulled a funny face and got in.

'How long will I have to stay in here for?' He whispered very quietly.

'I don't know, I'll try to get my mum to leave the house.'

'Maddy? Who are you talking to?' My mum called out. Oh shit! I didn't even know she was still standing there.

'Just being a crazy lil one and talking to myself.'

'Hurry up.' I waited and listened as I heard her foots steps as they led her down the stairs.

I didn't realise I was holding my breath till I had to let it out.

Me and Julian laughed softly and I kissed his cheek before closing my cupboard doors leaving a little crack so he could breath.

I opened my door and walked downstairs to see a plate of pancakes waiting for me on the bench.

I grabbed them and placed them on the table.

'Now Maddy, this suspension isn't a holiday, I expect you to do the homework you were given after you finish your breakfast,' mum said as I got out the orange juice and poured myself a glass.

'Yeah I know.'

'And as my punishment, I want you to clean the garden today, it's looking a bit neglected.' She rushed around tge kitchen grabbing bits and pieces for work and putting them in her bag.

'That's cause it is neglected.'

'Well not today it's not. I start work at 9:30 so I gotta go, but I expect to see the garden shiny and your homework done when I get home,' she repeated as she kissed my forehead.

'Yes mum. What time will you be home?'

'Not till a bit later tonight.' She grabbed her keys and jacket and ran out the door.

As soon as her car started and drove away, I ran up the stairs with my breakfast.

'She's gone, you can come out now.'

I saw a little head peak out from behind the door. He looked around jokingly before coming out.

'Is that pancakes?' He took one off the top and took a huge bite out of it.

'Mmm, I have a show tonight, wanna come?' He spluttered, spitting pancakes everywhere.

'Ummm, I'm grounded remember?'

'That didn't stop you last night,' he reminded me. I remembered last night. The way the sunset looked over the water. The way he held me in his arms. It sent a rush of butterflies to my stomach.

'Haha, alright. Mum did say she was working late anyway.'

He kissed me cheek.

'I gotta go and practise. Stage rehearsal, but everyone there will recognise you, they'll let you in backstage.'

'Alright, I'll catch the bus there. Hey can you do me a favour?'

'Yes my lovely?'

'Please don't call me that,' I said laughing. He opened his mouth as if he was hurt.

'Can you put the ladder back before you go?'

'Of course my cupcake.'

'Or that.'

'What can I call you then?'

'Anything but cupcake, lovely, sweat heart, pumpkin, munchkin, darling. You know those ewww couple names.'

He looked offended. 'What's wrong with couple names?'

'I've never really liked them. Bub is alright cause that's cute, but all the other ones are,' I scrunched up my nose and made a grose face.

'Haha, alright, bub.' He kissed my cheek one last time before going downstairs. I heard the front door open, then close again.

I stared at the huge pile of work on my desk.

'It's just me and you now buddy. You better behave, 'cause I'm the one in charge.' I think I'm going crazy.

I sat down in my desk chair and opened up my maths book.