Chapter 20

I jumped as a stone hit my bedroom window. I opened it and looked down. There was Julian, just about to throw another stone before I opened my window.

He was wearing a white top, jeans and a suit coat. He looked amazing. I wanted to just sit there and marvel over him.

‘Are you ready?’ He whispered.

‘Yeah, just two seconds.’ I ran inside and grabbed my bag.

‘Catch,’ I called out as I chucked it down to him.

I hadn’t quite figured out how I was going to get down yet. I was on the second floor and it was a long way down. I looked around, trying to find a way. I probably should have planned this ahead of time.

Finally I saw it, a tree branch that came close to my window. I prayed to god that it would hold my weight. It was pretty thick and healthy looking. I got a chair from my desk and pushed it next to my window.

I got on top of it and reached out for the branch. As I got hold of it and stood on my window ledge. I was scared to jump.

You know what? Yolo!

I jumped and closed my eyes. I heard Julian gasp. I had made it so far. I pretended I was back in primary school on the monkey bars. I inched my first hand forward. Then the next. Before I knew it, I was at the trunk of the tree. I was only about a meter from the tree as I dropped.

‘Oh shit.’

‘What?’ Julian asked looking concerned.

‘How am I supposed to make it back up?’

‘I don’t know, we’ll worry about it later.’

I ran up to Julian and threw my arms around his neck. He wrapped his arms around my waist.

‘I missed you,’ he whispered into my ear.

‘I missed you to.’ I let go of his neck and we slowly crept around to the front of the house.

We paused at every window, slowly peering in. We ducked and crawled past them.

We made it to the front of the house and we ran down the road.

‘Here’s your bag,’ Julian laughed as he passed it to me.

‘Thanks. Where are we going tonight?’

‘It’s a surprise,’ he smiled.

We walked to the main road and called out for a cab.

The cab stopped at a big patch of grass that was by a lake. Julian payed him and we got out.

Siting there on the grass was a picnic rug and basket.

I looked back at Julian in amazement and he smiled at me.

‘I hope you like egg and lettuce sandwiches.’

‘No way! Did you really do this for me?’

‘Of course, I wanted to show you how much you mean to me.’

‘Julian, you’re so cute.’ I pulled him in close and gave him a quick peck on the lips.

‘C’mon then.’ I raced him over to the rug. He beat me. We both laughed at each other.

‘So what would you like first? Strawberries or grapes?’ He asked.

‘Grapes,’ I replied. He grabs out a plate to put them on and pulled out the grapes.

I lied down next to him and he lied down too.

‘I was thinking we could take a paddle streamer down the lake,’ Julian suggested as we finished the picnic.