Chapter 18

I felt his hand twitch! Did I? Or was I just imagining it?

There it was again! I looked at him and stopped crying.

‘Will?’

He shook his head softly like he was trying to shake a nightmare away.

‘Maddy? Maddy?’ He mumbled, moving his head from side to side like he was looking in a crowd.

Those beautiful brown eyes. They shot open. For a few seconds they were searching. They found me.

I started crying, this time out of happiness. ‘Will.’

‘Maddy, you never lost me.’ His other arm wrapped around me and hugged me tightly. I gave him a kiss on the cheek.

‘I thought you had gone. Left me here by myself. Remember when we were kids we promised that if one of us ever died, we had to die to so neither of us would get bored in heaven, or on Earth.’

‘Hahaha. Sometimes I wish I could just go back to those simple days. The days where everything was black and white. Maddy, I would never leave you. And besides, even if I did, you wouldn’t be alone. You have Julian.’

I smiled through my tears. ‘Yeah, I do.’

Just then Julian and Zach walked in. Will let go and I sat up and got off the bed.

‘Will you’re awake!’ Julian yelled, coming over to us.

‘Yeah. Did you know that when you’re in a coma, you can hear everything someone is saying, unless you’re actually sleeping of course. When I heard your voice Maddy, I had to wake up.’

‘We better go tell the doctor you’re awake,’ Zach reminded us.

‘That would be help full. I’m starving!’ We all burst out laughing.

Julian and I went to go tell the doctors and left Zach with Will.

‘I hated seeing you like that,’ Julian whispered to the ground, ‘it felt like there was nothing I could do to help you and it hurt to see you so upset.’

‘I’m really sorry. I should have gotten a hold on myself but I didn’t know what to do.’

Julian grabbed my hand in his and looked up at me.

‘Maddy it’s fine, I understand. I mean I was frightened so bad and I’ve only known him for a few

weeks. I didn’t know what I would have done if he didn’t wake up. I can’t imagine what you must have been going through, knowing him your whole life.’

We walked up to the receptionist that I had screamed at before.

‘Hi, were you able to find him?’ She asked in her calm voice.

‘Yeah, he woke up,’ I replied.

‘Oh that’s wonderful news! He must have known you were coming. I’ll just call the nurse now.’ She picked up the phone and muttered a few words into it.

We walked back to the room to see a nurse in there asking Will a few questions and cheeking the equipment, writing things down on her notepad.

‘Well, we have to wait to make sure that you’re going to defiantly make a recovery. You should be let out within a few hours, if not tomorrow.’

She stepped around us and went back out the door.

‘How are you feeling?’ I asked

‘Better now that you’re here,’ Will smiled back.

‘You have no idea how scared I was Will, I thought I lost you,’ I told him as I took a seat next to his bed. Julian took a seat next to Zach on the small couch in the corner.

‘I jumped out of the car while Zach was driving. I was scared I was too late. Scared you had left me forever.’

‘Maddy, I could never leave you. You are what woke me up, your voice.’

‘What were you doing calling the police anyway?’

‘I wanted to save everyone, wanted to be the superhero. Like Batman.’ There was a moment of silence before we all burst out in laughter.

Will has always been obsessed with Batman. When we were younger, his favourite game to play was Batman and Robin.

‘My Will,’ I sighed wiping away the tears that had come due to all my laughing. My stomach felt like I had just done 50 sit ups.

‘Can you pass me the remote please?’ I got up and grabbed it off of the bedside table and passed it to him. I walked over to Julian and sat on his lap.

He wrapped his arms around my stomach and kissed my cheek.

‘Eww, I’m moving,’ Zach said.

‘Guys seriously, do you have to do that in here? I can’t even get up and walk away,’ Will complained.

I turned around and kissed Julian on the lips instead. It wasn’t just a peck on the lips either. Zach quickly got up and moved to the other seat that I was sitting in before and I heard Will moan.

I looked back at him and he was covering his eyes with his pillow and Zach was staring at us in disgust.

‘Zach I’m sure you’ve done worse with Keeda,’ Julian laughed.

‘Yeah, but that’s different! Because… because… it just is okay? Now stop!’ Zach scolded.

I laughed and Julian’s arms tightened around me.