Chapter 16

Another draining day of school, at least this time I wasn’t arriving alone.

I kissed Julian good bye and tried to ignore all of the comments made by the people walking past.

I pulled away and Julian hovered a few inches from my face.

‘Don’t worry about them. Every time they say something, just remember last night.’ I smiled remembering falling asleep in his arms.

‘Ugghh, but then I remember that I’m at school and not with you.’

‘Hahaha, don’t worry, I’m only a call away.’ He kissed my forehead and with that, I walked into class.

Half way through fourth period my phone vibrated.

I secretly pulled it out of my pocket to see I had a new message from Julian. I got a little worried. He knew I was in class and he wouldn’t have messaged me unless it was urgent.

That was before I read the message. As I read the 3 words printed across my phone screen, my heart dropped. I defiantly knew something was wrong! I could feel it.

‘Call me now!’

‘Yes Maddy?’

‘Sir, I feel really sick, I think I need to go to the sick bay or get a drink or something.’ I really did start feeling sick.

‘You look really pale, sure go get a drink.’

‘Probably caught something off that feral she was making out with this morning,’ I heard some girls whisper to themselves.

If it weren’t for the message, I would have slapped them right there and then. I didn’t care who would have been watching. No one calls him a name like that. The only thing that kept me from attacking them was the massage.

I stormed out of the room before I did something I knew I would’ve regretted.

As soon as I reached the toilets I called Julian.

‘C’mon pick up, pick up!’ With each ring he didn’t pick up, I got more and more worried.

‘Hel-lo?’ I heard a shaky Julian answer.

‘Julian! What’s wrong?’

‘I’m with Zach, we’re gonna come get you now. Wait out the front gates for us.’

‘Julian, please! What’s wrong!’ I pleaded, almost in tears.

‘I’ll explain it to you in the car. I gotta go, we’ll be there in 10-15 minutes.’ I heard a beep as he hanged up.

I started freaking out, thinking of all of the worst things that could’ve happened. I was at the point where I was about to pull my hair out. I started pacing back and forth in the bathroom.

He could be hurt. His family could’ve been in a car accident. He could’ve been running from someone or something. He could’ve been shot.

I ran into one of the stalls and vomited in the toilet. I closed the seat and sat down on it shivering. Not because I was cold, but because I was scared. I started crying.

Glad I decided to skip the make up this morning.

I was absolutely terrified. I just wanted him here now, I wanted to make sure he was safe, feel his warm caring arms around me. I wanted to go back to this morning. I wanted to close my eyes, and when I opened them, I wanted to be back in his bed.

My phone made the familiar whistle. I checked it.

*One message from Julian*

There was a part of me that wanted me to throw my phone back in my pocket and walk back into class and pretend everything was fine.

Then there was the part of me that wanted to check the message, making sure that it really was from him and not just someone contacting me on his phone, telling me that Julian was dead and I was invited to his funeral.

I tapped on the message and read it.

‘We’re almost there. I’ll explain everything when I see you <3’

I flushed the toilet and quickly washed my hands, well I ran them under water for a few seconds, before dashing out of the toilets.

I wanted to run to my locker, but I knew that it would just attract attention. I walked as fast as I could.

I threw my stuff in my locker and grabbed my bag out.

‘And where are you going Maddy?’ Just my luck! Ms Hill the vice principal. I ignored her question and continued to lock my locker.

‘Excuse me? I asked you a question.’

‘I have to go,’ I said bluntly.

‘Have you signed out?’

‘Nope, and I don’t plan on it.’ I tried to walk past her but she blocked my way.

‘And why would that be?’ I pushed past her and kept walking. She knew that she couldn’t physically keep me here. She stood there and watched me walk out of the building.