Prologue

All was quiet on the snow speckled tundra. The dead grass, yellow and dry, had a light brush of freshly fallen snow laying upon it. A sign of the fierce winter that was about to come. One could practically smell the cold coming, and it was coming fast. It was time to move on to a warmer place. But for one kaiju cat, winter could wait.

There was something more important right now.

Scurrying along the frozen landscape was the one and only Shin. The pink striped kaiju cat was perhaps one of the strangest to ever walk the earth. He had a big head sitting upon a skinny neck. His body was thin until it reached his hips, which were anything but thin. Attached to his rear was a long long striped tail that ended with a kink. Back to his flat face, he had two different sized eyes and a bottom jaw that could unhinge and split open. With all of the features, it was difficult for Shin to find any friends. That's what he was doing out here.

He was trying to find some friends.

A twig snapped. Shin whipped his head in the direction, causing his neck to crack. There! A deer! A possible friend! And it had just seen Shin as well. The poor creature froze with fright. What was the monstrosity they were seeing before them right now?! It was horrifying to look at! Terrified, the deer took a step back. It was ready to run.

Shin was so happy. He had at last found himself a friend! This was the greatest day of his life! Wagging his light pink tipped tail, the brown tabby pranced closer to the deer. The deer, in response, bleated and took three more steps back. It was scared to death. But Shin didn't notice. He was just too happy. To express just how happy he was, he gave the deer a warm smile. There was a difference between others smiling and Shin smiling though. Whenever Shin smiled, his bottom jaw unhinged and split open.

A horrifying sight to witness, really.

With an ear splitting shriek of terror, the deer was not planning to stay any longer. It was getting the blazes out of here. Turning sharply, it bounded away across the snowy tundra. Wanting his newfound friend to stay, Shin let out a low bellow before he raced after the deer. However, he wasn't as graceful. With his huge freaking paws and long stilts for legs, Shin found himself stumbling across the field in a clumsy manner. The deer managed to get away with little effort.

Sliding clumsily to a halt, Shin stared across the field in the direction the deer had gone. His newfound friend had left him. Why did this keep happening? His heart aching for a pal, Shin tipped his head back and let out a mournful screech. Whimpering sadly, he turned to walk away. Unfortunately, he had not been paying attention to where he was or what his surroundings were like. As a consequence, he was now rolling down a hill.

Tumbling head over heels, Shin could barely make out anything. He couldn't see much. Sometimes he saw the sky, sometimes he saw the ground. Frequently he would see his own tail. All the while, he kept on rolling down the hill until, finally, he arrived at the bottom with a loud thud.

Grunting softly, Shin heaved himself to his feet. This took a lot of effort. His body was banged up and bruised from his nasty tumble. At least they didn't hurt as bad as his heart did. He sat down and sniffed. Why would no one be his friend? He was a nice person, he knew that. He told himself that every day. Why couldn't anyone see that? He closed his eyes and bowed his head in sadness.

"Are we there yet?"

The voice echoed in the air. Shin opened his eyes and raised his head as a second voice retorted, "We'll get there when we get there!" That sounded close, just over the rise. Scrambling to his paws, Shin climbed up the ridge and peered down. There was a whole parade of kaiju cats below, marching south for the upcoming winter. Shin's heart filled with hope. Perhaps someone down there wanted to be friends with him!

With that in mind, Shin scampered down the embankment and became one with the crowd, looking for a friend.