Chapter 7

The storm had passed away during the cold night, allowing the sun to show come morning. Dawn had finally arrived. All was quiet in the human village. Up above on the cliffs, the Ghidorah pride kept watch. Revenge would be theirs. In the lead, Ichi had his tail raised. Once he was absolutely sure that everything was quiet, he lowered it.

It was time to act.

Treading on silent paws, the Ghidorah pride slowly but surely advanced down the cliff. They were mindful of where they stepped. They wanted the element of surprise on their side. And they were doing a good job until the clumsy Gigan tripped over his own feet. The noise, though small, caused a human to wake up and sound the alarm. So much for surprise. But that didn't matter right now. The Ghidorah pride, specifically Ichi, wanted revenge. And they were going to get it.

"Attack!" Ichi roared, his red eyes turning yellow. The same happened to his younger brothers Ni and San. The sibling trio leaped into the fight, firing their infamous gravity beams. Gigan launched himself at the humans, lashing out with his razor sharp claws. The humans were armed with spears, clubs and arrows. The Shobijin twins were nowhere to be seen, probably hiding. Slinking around the edges of the battle, Rodan silently made his way towards the den Mosura used and peered inside.

The baby was there.

A sinister smile creeping along his face, Rodan took a step towards the cub's nest. At that same moment, something struck him on the head. Yelping, he backed up and glared at his attacker. It was Mosura. Grabbing her sleeping daughter by the scruff of her neck, she gazed fearfully at the red kaiju cat before swatting him again. Taking the opportunity while he was down, she dashed out of the den. Getting back on his feet, Rodan ran after her.

Safely tucked away on a tree branch, the Shobijin twins wailed when they saw Mosura being chased by Rodan. Some of the humans saw that too and tried to go save her. However, their path was blocked by Ichi and Ni. All the humans could do was pray, for Mosura was on her own.

Running as fast as she could, Mosura knew she was in trouble. She wasn't as young as she used to be and she was still weak from giving birth just the day before. Plus, she was carrying her sleeping baby so that slowed her down even more. It didn't help that the feline chasing her was built for speed. He was right on her heels. Desperate, Mosura saw a cliff and jumped for it. Not about to let his prey get away, Rodan pounced and struck.

Wincing as sharp fangs dug deep into her neck, Mosura clung to the cliff. She was struggling to hold on though. She decided right then and there that she was going to need a different plan. Setting her infant cub down on the edge of the cliff, she released her hold. Both she and her attacker crashed down. Blood dripping down from her neck wound, Mosura heaved herself to her tired paws. Across from her, Rodan growled and flicked his tail. Immediately, flames sprouted forth. With one wave of his tail, he made a circle of fire around them, ensuring there was no escape. Then he attacked.

The fight was on.

Mosura found herself losing the battle. Her opponent was younger, faster, stronger and had the fire power to boot. The elderly female was covered in scratches and bruises. Her white fur was stained with her own blood, at least the parts that hadn't been burned off. She could feel her strength ebbing away slowly. She could not keep this up. She had to get her daughter out of here and back to the humans. There were no other options left. Mosura might die but she wasn't going to let her only child suffer the same potential fate. Kicking her attacker off, she grabbed her kid and ran.

Based on the running footsteps behind her, Mosura knew the red kaiju cat had gotten back on his feet. There was just no shaking him. But she had to try, for her daughter's sake. Taking a sharp right turn, she ran as fast as she could. However, she quickly stopped in her tracks when she realized she was on the edge of a cliff. The waterfall roared loudly on her left as the river dumped down into the rapids below. To make matters worse, her attacker arrived at the scene.

Seeing his prey cornered, Rodan sighed with relief. Advancing towards the ancient kaiju cat, he murmured, "Look oh great Mosura. We are not here for you. All we want is your child." Trembling beside the waterfall, Mosura whimpered, "You want to kill her." Baring his sharp teeth, Rodan growled impatiently, "Don't make this harder than it needs to be. Give her to me and your life will be spared." Shaking like a leaf, Mosura looked down at her baby, who had slept this whole time. Something flashed in her sky blue eyes before she looked up at Rodan.

"I forgive you," Mosura whispered softly. Then she suddenly whirled around and jumped down the waterfall with her cub.