Chapter 8

"We can't hold them off for much longer!" Ni shouted. Taking aim at one human berating him with a club, Ichi snapped, "We'll continue holding on as long as possible, until Rodan comes back with that kitten!" But even he was becoming increasingly worried by the red kaiju cat's absence. What was taking so long?

"There! I see him! He's back!" Gigan crowed from his perch on top of a rock, swiping at the humans below. Squinting due to the rising morning sun, Ichi sighed in relief. He could see Rodan returning as well. The red kaiju cat was heading back towards them. "Everyone! Rodan is back with the Mosura cub! Fall back now!" Just like that, the Ghidorah pride broke off from the fight and ran to their comrade, only to discover that he was empty handed.

"Where's the baby?" Ichi demanded. He had a look of confusion and exasperation on his face. Rodan hated this. This was the first time he had ever failed his mission. They were not gonna like what he had to say. Sighing heavily as he muttered, "Don't freak out or anything sir, but... I may have possibly lost both Mosura and her cub over the falls-"

"YOU LOST IT?!" Ichi screeched.

A spear whistled through the air and struck the ground in between the members of the pride. The humans were coming, and they did not look happy. Not one little bit. Knowing that it was suicidal staying here, the Ghidorah pride quickly retreated. "I want that baby! We need to have our revenge!" Ichi scolded Rodan. Gritting his teeth together, the red kaiju cat hissed, "I'll get it, alright?!"

"You better, or else you'll be the replacement," Ichi growled sinisterly. Rodan's torn ears flattened against his head when he heard the threat. Turning to the rest of the pride, Ichi declared, "We'll head for Black Shard Volcano." Looking back at Rodan, he lowered his voice to snarl, "Bring me that cub. It better be alive." Watching as his leader padded away, Rodan muttered, "It will be."

"Can we take your word for that?" Ni sneered, trotting over. Gigan came up behind Rodan and shoved him as he remarked, "I could have done a better job!" Racing off with San by his side, Ichi shouted, "Let's go! Unless you want a spear through your freaking skulls!" Hearing that, Ni and Gigan quickly ran to join the rest of the pride. Rodan, meanwhile, headed back towards the waterfall. He had to start somewhere.

Standing together in the middle of camp were the Shobijin twins. They were trying to locate either Mosura or her baby via their spiritual link. However, they weren't having any luck. Meanwhile, the humans who hadn't gone after the Ghidorah pride were busy packing everything. It was time to leave the area and rejoin the distant human settlement. There was no use staying here with the Ghidorah pride. It was also no use waiting for Mosura or her baby to come back. Some feared that they were already gone.

And that made them very afraid.